Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long would you guys wait before getting the brakes changed out?

I have about 53k on mine. I don't race, and I mostly drive on the highway. Brakes don't make much noise, but the car is getting up there in miles and I haven't touched the rotors or brake pads yet.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
It should be part of your maintenance cycle to have them inspected. That is only way you will know. Unless of course you can't stop any longer. :D

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
That is true. Here in Pa our cars are inspected once a year. with that much mileage I would have looked at them by now.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
K. I will get them checked out. Thanks.

It's probably one of the few things not in my maintenace cycle. It probably should seeing it's one of the more important parts of my car, lol.

Gotta love Jerzee's inspection. I think as long as the car is running, you're good. But I AM glad that I don't have to pay a mechanic's hourly rate every year when I get it inspected(which is every other year by NJ's standard).

Actually, they WERE inspected 1 or 2 years ago @ around 40k and I didn't need new brakes. But I think I probably should still take your advice and get em checked out.

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
K. I will get them checked out. Thanks.

It's probably one of the few things not in my maintenace cycle. It probably should seeing it's one of the more important parts of my car, lol.

Gotta love Jerzee's inspection. I think as long as the car is running, you're good. But I AM glad that I don't have to pay a mechanic's hourly rate every year when I get it inspected(which is every other year by NJ's standard).

Actually, they WERE inspected 1 or 2 years ago @ around 40k and I didn't need new brakes. But I think I probably should still take your advice and get em checked out.
In Pa it's a flat fee for the inspection. So its usually under 100. Thats both veh inspection and emission.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In Pa it's a flat fee for the inspection. So its usually under 100. Thats both veh inspection and emission.
Isn't that cuz it takes them about an hour?

I guess that's why I assumed it's basically just close to their hourly rate.

·
Banned
822 Posts
Just pull the wheels, and have a look yourself... As a general rule, if you have bonded linings with rivets, you change 'em out with about a 1/8" minimum lining left. If they're bonded only (no rivets), you can let 'em get down to about 1/16".
You'll hear a little scraping when the pad's metal backing first touches the rotor... If you do, change 'em immediately, or you may end up replacing the rotors, rather than just the pads.
Brakes should be really easy to do at home on our cars, for anyone with basic mechanical skills. If you can change oil, you can do brakes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
How long would you guys wait before getting the brakes changed out?

I have about 53k on mine. I don't race, and I mostly drive on the highway. Brakes don't make much noise, but the car is getting up there in miles and I haven't touched the rotors or brake pads yet.
With that many miles it may be a good idea to have the rotors turned along with replacing the pads. When replacing the pads if you do not used a Ford or Motorcraft replacement set of pads there are a couple of clips on the pads, you can reuse these. Also, once you have replaced the pads make sure to bleed the brakes too! Oldlugs is correct, if you can change the oil, you change do the brakes to. It would also be a good opportunity to paint your calipers too if so inclined...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.