Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 Mustang GT - Broke an intake manifold bolt - HELP

Am I screwed? Can I survive on 9 bolts instead of 10? Help.

G

·
that sucks... how did you break it? did you over tighten it? I was just doing the CMCV install last week and thankfully everything went ok. which one did you break ?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that sucks... how did you break it? did you over tighten it? I was just doing the CMCV install last week and thankfully everything went ok. which one did you break ?
Yes over tightened, I'm a moron and was reading the install guide incorrectly. Bolt 1, the "hidden" one on the passenger side broke.

I'm wondering if this will affect the car any...

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
I would pull it apart and fixit. Some times the broken part will just un-screw, but some times not. You could try it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would pull it apart and fixit. Some times the broken part will just un-screw, but some times not. You could try it.
Even if I pull it out, I don't have a replacement bolt at the moment.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know. the dealer is your next stop.

Have you tried it?
Not yet.

I most likely will have to tap it and drill it, and then get another bolt. I'm just wondering if my manifold will be affected by only having 9 bolts.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
135 Posts
I feel your pain! Did the same thing. Didn't have a problem but I was driving like an old lady till I got it fixed.

On a different note PM me your address. I have few extras and will be happy to send you a couple. Someone did it for me so I will happily pass it one :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wooo!!!! Took off the intake manifold and fortunately for me the bolt was not seized up and screwed right out. Now I just need to get a replacement bolt, anyone know what size and thread those are? Or a part number to go to the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
If its just a bolt the Ford part number is W709552 S437 The size is M6X62.5

Some times you luck out.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If its just a bolt the Ford part number is W709552 S437 The size is M6X62.5

Some times you luck out.
Thanks a ton. I've been beating myself up all night. I need to pick up an in-lb torque wrench as well, cuz I think my big one is a POS and not very accurate.

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
Thats a good idea. there are a lot of bolts that are in.lb. You can also have your larger one calibrated. Accuracy is important around alum.
Glad I could help

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
89 lb-in = 7.42 lb-ft. 10 was too much but I'm still surprised it broke.
You're telling me. I actually ended up breaking another one as well, and the wrench was set to 7 ft-lb. It clicked on the bolt before and I thought all was well and then the next one it just never seemed to click, and sure enough POP. I was so pissed that i chucked the wrench a good 30 ft. :nono:

I should probably go and apologize to my neighbors for the loud scream of a few choice 4 letter words at 10pm. :scratchchin :D

Luckily the stars aligned in my favor again and the second one just screwed right out like the first. But after that I said eff the torque wrench and just went by feel, getting them all snug and then giving them a good 1/4-1/2 turn from tight.

Tomorrow I'm gonna hit NAPA in the morning and see if I can find me some bolts.....and a new quality torque wrench.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
You're telling me. I actually ended up breaking another one as well, and the wrench was set to 7 ft-lb. It clicked on the bolt before and I thought all was well and then the next one it just never seemed to click, and sure enough POP. I was so pissed that i chucked the wrench a good 30 ft. :nono:

I should probably go and apologize to my neighbors for the loud scream of a few choice 4 letter words at 10pm. :scratchchin :D

Luckily the stars aligned in my favor again and the second one just screwed right out like the first. But after that I said eff the torque wrench and just went by feel, getting them all snug and then giving them a good 1/4-1/2 turn from tight.

Tomorrow I'm gonna hit NAPA in the morning and see if I can find me some bolts.....and a new quality torque wrench.
Bring the remnants of the old bolts and they should be able to match them. Worst case, a trip to Ford! :so

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bring the remnants of the old bolts and they should be able to match them. Worst case, a trip to Ford! :so
I wanted to kill somebody earlier. My torque wrench is still somewhere out in the open lot next to my house.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.