Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I found out today that I broke another wheel stud. This time on the rear passenger side. previously I found a broken one on the front passenger side. Ford replaced it with no problems and I didn't think anything of it untill now. Has any one else had this problem, or did I just get a bad batch of studs:confused:

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
so I found out today that I broke another wheel stud. This time on the rear passenger side. previously I found a broken one on the front passenger side. Ford replaced it with no problems and I didn't think anything of it untill now. Has any one else had this problem, or did I just get a bad batch of studs:confused:
That's strange... Or just real unlucky. :scratchchin

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Those are the first two wheel studs that I've heard of. Are the lugs being overtorqued?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
this is one I have not heard of yet. I hope this is not a trend. Who put the wheels on?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Have you had a tire store work on your wheels or tires recently? Those clowns don't know which end of a torque wrench to hold onto much less know how to use it to torque wheel nuts or studs. Most of them use impact wrenches to put the nuts back on and when you ask them about torque they tell you that they have a torque limiter on the tool to prevent over-torque. That is BS and I proved it to one store Manager because he would not have his guys do it the way I wanted. I took the impact wrench and the torque limiting extension and using an old wheel I twisted off three studs before he would believe me. They have the impact wrenches set up on 125psi and rely on those torque limiting extensions, which are not worth the money it would cost to melt them down for scrap, to keep the torque within reasonable limits.
Then when they do get out the torque wrenches they jump on them with most of their weight and a click type wrench will keep applying torque after it clicks so you end up with un-even torque and over limit torque if not stripped studs. I insist that they hand torque my wheels and I stand right there looking over their shoulders to make sure it gets done right. What's more I re-torque the nuts myself after them setting over night just for my own piece of mind.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually was a very good and trusted shop that put the wheels on. I havn't needed to take them off since. I would guess it is possible that they were overtorqued but I kinda doubt it. :shrugThe first stud broke around 2000 miles after the wheels were put on the last approximatly another 2000 miles.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
I've done mine by hand, air gun, and torque wrench, never busted one yet. They have been off an on ALOT.
3 different sets of rims, 20 tires, and many rotations and drag radial swaps.

Never an issue.

Also a note on using a torque wrench. The proper way when tightening is pulling up, not pushing down with body weight.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
I've done mine by hand, air gun, and torque wrench, never busted one yet. They have been off an on ALOT.
3 different sets of rims, 20 tires, and many rotations and drag radial swaps.

Never an issue.

Also a note on using a torque wrench. The proper way when tightening is pulling up, not pushing down with body weight.
Yes alway pull never push down . This sounds like the bolts where tightened way to much.When I was about 16 I did that one time and the studs snaped on my 1968 CSGT. I overtightened a lot of things . I learned the hard way, it is not about that. You may want to loosen them to see if they keep turning meaning they are striped.If they loosen up the stud is likely ok.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yes alway pull never push down . This sounds like the bolts where tightened way to much.When I was about 16 I did that one time and the studs snaped on my 1968 CSGT. I overtightened a lot of things . I learned the hard way, it is not about that. You may want to loosen them to see if they keep turning meaning they are striped.If they loosen up the stud is likely ok.
Uh oh. I'm trying to think if I've played with any bolts in my car...because I more than likely over tightened them. Time will tell, but I sure hope she doesn't!

Glad I read this before I bought a new set of wheels...

·
Registered
111 Posts
it is very possible that the wheel are not seated squarely. have the factory rotor retaining clips removed before the wheels were installed? i would also look to see if the mounting surface shows signs of fretting. this means the wheels are moving around. flexing the studs and weakening them.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Not sure if you'll be able to get the information you need here. A lot of these AFM guys think they're expert studs, but not many of them claim to be stud experts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.