Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to the 3v Mustangs. I just recently purchased a JLT CAI from a friend of mine. I was told by a local performance shop that said it is better to run the car with the JLT without a tune because it will lean out the car a little on motor. Now this local shop is reputable and trust them. I would like to know how true this is, also would it mess up anything on the car. I recently purchased my 08 GT this past Wednesday. Today is Friday and wanted to race my car. IF the car needs a tune I can wait and purchase HP Tuners for it.
Thanks. Any feedback i appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
No way... It'll lean it out to the point you get a check engine light. it needs a tune!

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Yeah, JLT strongly recommends a tune and plus you'll benefit more from the tune and CAI than you would with just the CAI alone.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
K. Thanks. Also what do you think about HP Tuners, I know recently they can program the 05+ Mustang GTs. Im familiar with them tuning LS1s.

·
Registered
179 Posts
SCT supplies great tunes but hard to use as compared to HP Tuner. I've had both at the same time. SCT is sold!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I've used the HP Tuners stuff on GM engines, and it is a good tuning program. However, with them releasing the Ford stuff so recently, there are no modified tunes in their tune repository as yet, only stock tunes.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I was told by a local performance shop that said it is better to run the car with the JLT without a tune because it will lean out the car a little on motor. Now this local shop is reputable and trust them.
I'm sure that they're a reputable bunch, but it appears that they're not all that familiar with performance upgrades for the new Mustangs. Hence, you may want to continue to verify their suggestions for your car.

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
Our cars are lean enough from the factory. That would burn it up in short order.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the help guys I didn't put on the CAI. I ended up running a 14.2 @ 96mph with my Automatic GT. I also bought the HP Tuners for my car. I plan on getting gears,convertor,exhaust and putting on the CAI this month. Im shooting for 12s on motor. thanks again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. Ive actually gone Mid-9s with my other 1988 Mustang GT. Shooting for 8s this coming week.

·
Registered
388 Posts
if you dont want to worry about a tune right now shoot for the CNL CAI with the "no tune" insert, it flows great and wont F*ck up your computer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.