Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like it was my 160* thermostat that contributed to my overly rich condition and plug fouling a couple weeks ago. Looks like my car got stuck in open loop because the thermostat was opening too early and the car wasn't getting up to operating temp fast enough to switch to closed loop operation. Switched back to an OEM 180* t-stat last night and things are back to normal today.

Lesson for today: colder thermostats on computer controlled engines are a mistake!

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Looks like it was my 160* thermostat that contributed to my overly rich condition and plug fouling a couple weeks ago. Looks like my car got stuck in open loop because the thermostat was opening too early and the car wasn't getting up to operating temp fast enough to switch to closed loop operation. Switched back to an OEM 180* t-stat last night and things are back to normal today.

Lesson for today: colder thermostats on computer controlled engines are a mistake!
Thank you I was going to go and get one today. I am so glad you got the car running again.How is the new TB?

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you I was going to go and get one today. I am so glad you got the car running again.How is the new TB?
Everything is running but I definitely need to get it tuned--my RPMs are hanging a little bit.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I was going to change mine out too, but DON_W told me it wasn't a good idea and I held off in doing it. After reading your post glad I never did it, thanks.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was going to change mine out too, but DON_W told me it wasn't a good idea and I held off in doing it. After reading your post glad I never did it, thanks.
And the car runs at the same temp anyway. It just opens up later. Live and learn I guess. :so

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I was also about to buy one. Is there anyway a tuner could tune it to have closed loop start ealier? This is what I did on my 1994. The Speedbrain ECU allowed you to change the temperature that the computer would go to closed loop.

What do you guys think of a coolant additive like Royal Purples Purple Ice or Red Lines Water Wetter? Water Wetter on my 94GT made the imprecise gauge read on the m instead of the l in the word 'normal'. Only God knows what the actual difference in temperature was. Summer is here and I am thinking cool.

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
And the car runs at the same temp anyway. It just opens up later. Live and learn I guess. :so
I take it you didn't make any adjustment to your tune? That's something else that needed to be adjusted. :scratchchin

·
Registered
657 Posts
Just my 2 cents here, but Ford spent millions of dollars on testing and R&D to get the fueling and timing to run on a temperature that is set to the factory thermostat. Trying to second guess their set up on a street car will not really help in the long run.
If you are running a drag car then you have a wide open book to work with and pretty much anything is game.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Yeah but Ford didnt know I was gonna shove 9.5lbs of boost down my cars throat. They REALLY didnt know that Stlwagon was gonna have a forged, headed, cammed and blown monster either.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was also about to buy one. Is there anyway a tuner could tune it to have closed loop start ealier? This is what I did on my 1994. The Speedbrain ECU allowed you to change the temperature that the computer would go to closed loop.
It probably could be done.
What do you guys think of a coolant additive like Royal Purples Purple Ice or Red Lines Water Wetter? Water Wetter on my 94GT made the imprecise gauge read on the m instead of the l in the word 'normal'. Only God knows what the actual difference in temperature was. Summer is here and I am thinking cool.
I've used Water Wetter for years. It works.

I take it you didn't make any adjustment to your tune? That's something else that needed to be adjusted. :scratchchin
It was supposed to be plug & play with no adjustment necessary--obviously wrong.

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
It probably could be done.
I've used Water Wetter for years. It works.

It was supposed to be plug & play with no adjustment necessary--obviously wrong.
I have learned that the only plug and play is the CD player in my center dash. I constantly pick at Chris's brain.

·
Registered
124 Posts
glad to hear that everything is ok :)

D

·
0 Posts
good to know.. thanks for posting. About a month ago I asked a Ford Tech about the OEM S197 GT thermostat (as I was constantly running between 195-210F... never below 190F)...concerned it was running a bit hot. Here was the reply:

"The 4.6L 3v thermostat should start to open at about 175*-182* F but won't be fully open until 202* F. The cooling fan should cycle on at about 208*-212* F. If you had a cooling system overtemperature fault, DTC P0217 should set. 215* F operating temperature is pretty typical, and does not indicate a problem.

Cooling fan operation is what actually controls engine temperature since it is responsible for pulling air through the radiator core. Since the fan doesn't come on until engine temperatures are above 200* F, coolant temperature will roughly correspond.
"

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
good to know.. thanks for posting. About a month ago I asked a Ford Tech about the OEM S197 GT thermostat (as I was constantly running between 195-210F... never below 190F)...concerned it was running a bit hot. Here was the reply:

"The 4.6L 3v thermostat should start to open at about 175*-182* F but won't be fully open until 202* F. The cooling fan should cycle on at about 208*-212* F. If you had a cooling system overtemperature fault, DTC P0217 should set. 215* F operating temperature is pretty typical, and does not indicate a problem.

Cooling fan operation is what actually controls engine temperature since it is responsible for pulling air through the radiator core. Since the fan doesn't come on until engine temperatures are above 200* F, coolant temperature will roughly correspond."
Good info... I could have saved myself a lot of hassle if I had known this before.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.