Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well I've got a buddy comin over at 8 in the morning, were doin my springs (got the commpressor today,prokit) and my MGW shifter..I've read the how to's and were both fairly wrench savy..just wonderin if there are any last minute tips ( other than have the coffee ready when he gets there) that'll help with either install..we will be doing both on stands, no lift..feels kinda like xmas eve!!..couldn't wait any longer, it's supposed to be a balmy +2 celcius or about 35 degrees and sunny..can't wait!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
stl always beats me to it. +1 on removing the driveshaft. It's 4 bolts that will save you a lot of headache.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
BTW, I ordered an MGW a month ago and still haven't seen it. I call them every week and every week they say next week.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
wow I got my MGW in 3 days and it seems like people keep ordering and getting them but not you :( sounds like you go the lick of the straw and got the 1 out of 100 odds of bad service from them.

I would call them and BI!%CH and see if you can get a free shift knob for the head ache :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BTW, I ordered an MGW a month ago and still haven't seen it. I call them every week and every week they say next week.
took me about three weeks to get mine, they said they couldnt ship for a week, and the other two weeks is normat transit time for us up here..when it did come I must say I was very impressed..not just with the unit itself which is gallery worthy..but just in the way it's packed and shipped..every part is labelled, comes with install CD..very impressive for an aftermarket company

·
Registered
160 Posts
Same here. I got tired of hearing "we're shipping late next week" so I canceled my order and spent that money on something else. I'll order again later this year.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
took me about three weeks to get mine, they said they couldnt ship for a week, and the other two weeks is normat transit time for us up here..when it did come I must say I was very impressed..not just with the unit itself which is gallery worthy..but just in the way it's packed and shipped..every part is labelled, comes with install CD..very impressive for an aftermarket company
WOW, an install CD? Shoot, I just want some color pics from time to time.

Can't help with the shifter, but when you put the strut back in, let the impact wrench do the work. When it stops, you stop. Those strut mount bolts are easy to break, trust me. :nono:

·
Registered
135 Posts
my only comment is that when I had mine installed there were 2 things that didn't match the instructions. I emailed MGW about it and got it cleared up so here is teh email and the responce. Good luck. You will love it!

Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 17:35:10 -050

Hello

I recently purchased one of your shifters and had it installed today. I was just putting away the old parts when I noticed that the 2 white bushings off the stock shifter had not been removed and put on the new shifter. I am guessing that the installer used the blue caps (?) or nothing when he did the install. I did not notice anything weird and the shifter seemed to work fine. Should I go back and have them replace what was in the shifter with teh white stock one

Also I notice that the shift handle bracket I have does not look the same as in the install video and other photos I have seen of the install. Also the only way that it would fit is with the MGW name on the passenger side. I have attached a photo

Please let me know what you thihn

Thanks

Robert

response:

we actually provide our own bushings now and they are those blue thinghs you see so you are fine. also the bracket is installed correctly so you are fine there too. it must have just been lasered on the wrong side for some reason

regards
george

MGW LTD., INC. - CNC Machined and Turned Parts. Accessories for the Corvette, Mustang, and Viper
4159 mike padgett highwa
augusta, ga 3090

706-793-1770

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
So I finally got a UPS notification from MGW. It will be here Tuesday. I don't think this a matter of poor customer service. I think it a matter of MGW completely underestimating the demand for their shifter. They told me several times that they had difficulty getting raw materials.

Either way, mine's on the way.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well it's done..prokit went in super easy..MGW shifter was fairly straight forward as well, thanks to the guys on the droppin the driveshaft advice, def'n made it easier..MGW provides a great step by step video for the install which was quite good..Robert S, mine too was laser engraved on the other side which was confusing as I didnt read your post until I had finished..just took it out for a rip and wow...what a difference on both sides..the shifts are crisp, short and very positive..the nose dive and lean in the corners is dramatically reduced and both me and my buddy thought the ride was nearly stock as far as comfort goes, couldnt really tell the difference at all to be honest..we took the time when the front end was jacked way up to put the GT500 front splitter on as well, install for that takes some patience and time but I think it looks great..to all those who offered advice I'll say thanks..once I get her washed I'll post up some picks for all who would like to see, the GT500 splitter looks great with the elenor grill!

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,531 Posts
well it's done..prokit went in super easy..MGW shifter was fairly straight forward as well, thanks to the guys on the droppin the driveshaft advice, def'n made it easier..MGW provides a great step by step video for the install which was quite good..Robert S, mine too was laser engraved on the other side which was confusing as I didnt read your post until I had finished..just took it out for a rip and wow...what a difference on both sides..the shifts are crisp, short and very positive..the nose dive and lean in the corners is dramatically reduced and both me and my buddy thought the ride was nearly stock as far as comfort goes, couldnt really tell the difference at all to be honest..we took the time when the front end was jacked way up to put the GT500 front splitter on as well, install for that takes some patience and time but I think it looks great..to all those who offered advice I'll say thanks..once I get her washed I'll post up some picks for all who would like to see, the GT500 splitter looks great with the elenor grill!
Great... How long did it take you to do the springs?

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,531 Posts
So I finally got a UPS notification from MGW. It will be here Tuesday. I don't think this a matter of poor customer service. I think it a matter of MGW completely underestimating the demand for their shifter. They told me several times that they had difficulty getting raw materials.

Either way, mine's on the way.
It's about time... Is that the last piece of the puzzle? :)

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Congrats on everything going smoothly!

I just installed my Prokit Thursday, along with Dpecs and Steeda bumpsteer. With alignment it was just under 3 hours. That bump steer kit was a little confusing.

FYI, After the drop my camber was still within specs. But adjusted it to where I wanted it.

My MGW is still going strong, I think I was one of the 1st 5 to have, I don't think I used locktite, cant remember. Don't even have the updated parts in. It ain't broke don't fix it!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
It's about time... Is that the last piece of the puzzle? :)
The last piece to get it on the road, but not the end of the build. I still have to put in my fuel pumps and rear end.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.