Ford Mustang Forum banner

2005 Mustang gt engine knock then it dissappeared, worry or no???

2600 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  [email protected]
i have a 2005 gt and one day i just noticed that it had an engine knock, like a fast ticking at idle, thats when it was most noticeable when i was driveing it around i couldnt really hear it unless i was trying or if my windows were down and i was by a wall...i probably had the knock for about the last 4 or 5 months and it never changed. then the other day it just dissapeared, no more knock at all...i never changed anything in my usual routine same 91 octane gas oil change all the same miles, never added addatives, now that the knock is gone i am more worried that something might of broke all the way or is it probably all ok now??? i have read some other post on here and makes me think that it might be ok but the other stories are a little different than mine and i am always paranoid over my car...any information would help...thanks...andrew...
See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Knocks caused by excessive clearance such as rod bearings just don't go away. I don't know what you heard but I would not worry about it if it is gone. If it happens to come back, try to pinpoint the sound by holding your ear against the handle of a long screwdriver and put the other end on the valve covers, manifolds, etc. until you pinpoint it. Then you might can determin what's causing it. A fast ticking at idle sounds like something in the valve train to me. It also could be caused by an exhaust leak, but they usually will not go away on their own either. By the way, welcome to AFM!!!
See less See more
thanks kdt...i did notice a rattle in my exahaust but im not sure if it is a rattle thats just there of if could be connected to a leak...i will have to get under it and check it out...hopefully its just a average rattle and the car is fine now...thank you...
G
Was it ticking as in your injectors or was it actually a knock as in predetonation?

My injectors are very noisey but they are also considerably larger than stock. If it was predetonation it could have been caused by several things to include low quality fuel. Even though the pump said 91 you never know what ended up in the tanks at the station. Could have also been some carbon build up creating a hot spot that has now been cleaned out. As long as you haven't noticed any decline in performance I would worry too much.
See less See more
i have a 2005 gt and one day i just noticed that it had an engine knock, like a fast ticking at idle, thats when it was most noticeable when i was driveing it around i couldnt really hear it unless i was trying or if my windows were down and i was by a wall...i probably had the knock for about the last 4 or 5 months and it never changed. then the other day it just dissapeared, no more knock at all...i never changed anything in my usual routine same 91 octane gas oil change all the same miles, never added addatives, now that the knock is gone i am more worried that something might of broke all the way or is it probably all ok now??? i have read some other post on here and makes me think that it might be ok but the other stories are a little different than mine and i am always paranoid over my car...any information would help...thanks...andrew...
Weeeeellllll, is is a knock or a tick? There is a BIG difference.

In most cases a knock from the bottom end will be better when cold and get worse when warm. It will also increase and decrease in speed along with the RPM's. That would be a sign of rod knock, piston slap, etc. A lower end knock will never go away.....unless it chucks whatever was knocking out of the motor. There is no mistaking when that happens.:happyhapp

Ticking could be just about anything. Injectors, cam followers, exhaust leak, etc. These are tough to find, motors make lots of noise.

Unless your car just started runing a LOT different when the ticking went away I wouldn't worry about it.
See less See more
Its getting cold out. All engines will rattle a bit until they get up to operating temp.
It sounds like it may have been an exhaust leak. You can read what i wrote on knock to help you out.
Detonation Explained
G
Its getting cold out. All engines will rattle a bit until they get up to operating temp.
He's almost close enough to say he lives in Mexico:headscratch:
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.