Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi I have an 05 gt with a cervini ram air kit, hurst shifter, and flowmaster axelbacks. I realize none of those things are horsepower gainers but thats what ive done so far. My questions is what can i do next to get some more power out of the motor? Im looking for little things I dont have the money to turbo or supercharge it.

I was thinking like Chip, headers, delete the cats... Any ideas and if the chip is a good idea any ideas of what one to go with?

The car has in my oppinion a lot of low end power but really lacks top end..

Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
As tbmd said, get an intake (JLT, C&L, steeda...) and an email tune from a reputable place (Brenspeed, Bama, JDM...). You'll be suprised how much that will wake up your car.

Then you can do gears, UDPs, CMDPs, aluminum driveshaft, etc. In my opinion, I would do headers last, for the price you don't pick up that much power when NA.

If you want to get serioius, you can do bigger mods like cams. But if you think you're going that far, I would seriously consider FI before you start jumping on the NA mods.

I am by no means an expert, some other guys will probably have better advice as to what mods to get first and such. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
550 Posts
Agreed ^^ once you get a tune and a CAI I think you will be very surprised in the gains. :yup:

·
Registered
825 Posts
By the time you get a CAI, UDP, headers, off road pipe, CMDP, cams, etc you will still want the power only a blower can provide! Dolllar for dollar you cant beat FI!

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
A cold air intake and tuner package is a great place to start! We typically see gains around the 25-30hp mark with the CAI and tuner packages we sell. They really do change how the car feels and most people refer to it as "waking it up". The throttle response is amazing! Please give us a call at 574.594.9559 if you have any questions whatsoever! We are here to help!

·
Registered
498 Posts
4:10 gears are amazing on these cars

·
Registered
456 Posts
I agree with everyone here depending on your goals for the car. An intake/tuner combo (saving you a little money if you buy their "package") is a good start if you don't plan on making over 400hp over the life of your car, or if you're OK with spending money for parts that will be redundant down the road for some performance now. If you know you're going to want more than 400hp, just get an FI package and be done with it. Or else you're going to buy an intake, delete plates, pulleys, cams, etc. and then have to take them off later because the FI you got already covers that, or the parts you had don't work well with your setup afterward and you just wasted money on it. You might be fine with building up the power on your car slowly, just know it will cost more in the long run and have fun, just make sure you know what your end goal is. :bigthumbsup

So if you're not getting FI, an intake/tuner combo is hard to beat because 1. its cheap for what you get compared to everything else and 2. you need the tuner to run most engine mods anyway. Some people will say "dont get mod A until you have mod B because it works better with it" and I say BS. If you want mod A, get mod A. If you're going to end up with A+B, does it really matter that much which one comes first? The added cosmetics of A might be worth getting it first alone for you.

If you're getting FI, just go look at all the "X vs Y blower or turbo" threads, often comparing 2 blowers with the same internals... any major FI package will work.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just to give you an idea of what to expect, my 05 GT has similar to what your does (see sig, only real power gain parts are o/r H and CAI) and on the base pull on the dyno it put 295 to the wheels. After the tune and a couple more pulls he had it putting down 321 on 91 octane and he tweaked the throttle response as well. I was very impressed and satisfied with the results. As I plan to do FI later on this is all I'm doing for now.

Simply stated the CAI and tune will be the best bang for buck initially as everyone else stated.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks

hey guys thanks for the advice... I guess the tune and cai is the first step then.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whats fi?

Also whats fi? Its somthing several of you mentioned but im not sure... is that like a turbo or supercharger refercence?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts