Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new proud owner of GT and was wondering what would be the best way to start enhancing overall performance of it? I have a list and would love any help you all could give me. This is what order I was thinking of heading in:
subframe connectors
cold air intake
exhaust
springs/shocks
brakes
engine upgrades
Please feel free to offer up any changes you think would work. First newer car with fuel injection and all the computer goodies. Used to working on engines where you can actually see pavement when you open the hood and carbs were under the aircleaner:shigrin Thanks for any and all help.

Shane

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
A tune and CAI should be at the top of the list. This alone will make the most overall effect in your car.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kyle,

CAI? sorry not up to date on terminology. Still stuck in the 60's era. Wait let me guess. cold air intake?

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
shnschpr said:
Hello all, new proud owner of GT and was wondering what would be the best way to start enhancing overall performance of it? I have a list and would love any help you all could give me. This is what order I was thinking of heading in:
subframe connectors
cold air intake
exhaust
springs/shocks
brakes
engine upgrades
Please feel free to offer up any changes you think would work. First newer car with fuel injection and all the computer goodies. Used to working on engines where you can actually see pavement when you open the hood and carbs were under the aircleaner:shigrin Thanks for any and all help.

Shane
Congrats on the new ride... Here's my $.02
CAI & tune up front
gears (3.73 or 4.10)
underdrive pullies
Headers, new catted or offroad X or H pipe, axle-back mufflers
New lower control arms, 3rd link, & panhard bar
Short throw shifter (Hurst or Pro 5.0)
Save your money on the subframe connectors unless you're going to take be taking it to the track a lot

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
shnschpr said:
Kyle,

CAI? sorry not up to date on terminology. Still stuck in the 60's era. Wait let me guess. cold air intake?
CAI = Cold Air Induction. CAI kit is usually sold with a tuning tool, like the Predator, or SCT X Calibrator.

The Tuning tool plugs into the computer outlet under your dash, and loads a custom tune file into your computer, greatly increasing the performance of your car. If you have an automatic transmission, a custom tune will change the way your transmission shifts- which will seem like a huge increase in performance to you.

This is the single best investment you can make on the Mustang, and the modificationis easily reversible- you can re-load your stock tune into the computer whenever you want, and the CAI can be removed in a matter of minutes.

The Granatelli CAI does not require a tuning tool to install, but is you have an automatic trans, you will still want a tuning tool.

Other mods you will see in people's signature lines:

CAI= Cold Air Induction
LCA= Lower Control Arms (Suspension)
S/C= Supercharged
N/A= Normally Aspirated (non-turbocharged, non-S/C, non nitrous)
UDP= Under Drive Pulleys (another great mod that frees up horsepower)
X-pipe = exhaust X-pipe that replaces factory H-pipe. Some X-pipe come without cats (no catalitic converters- illegal & loud, but also gives you more horsepower. These are ususally called "off-road X-pipes")

Axle-backs = complicated name for replacement mufflers that attach behind the axle, thereby not affecting the rest of the exhaust system. Performance-wise, a waste of money, but we still do it anyway!!

Good luck with your new stang. If you have any intention of continuing in the future with bolt-on power additions, ask for referrals and shop for a tuning tool that is offered through a vendor who is also a mail-order custom tune file creator, so that you will have customer support when the time comes (and the time WILL come).

This bolt-on thing is an addiction- if you have ever owned a Harley, you will know what I am talking about!!!!

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
nghtrnnr said:
gears are an incredible bang for buck and the best upgrade i ever made
Its appearing that the gear will be the first mod on my 06. Then the rest of the parts will go on. So, soon I will know if it helps more than the tune. I doubt it, as even with more multiplication of the power, I think the new mustangs feel like they are turbo charged. this is because of the holdback on the torque as you go WOT and it lags to follow.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all. I should have mentioned that it is a 5spd. As far as the addiction to bolt ons, I know that feeling all to well. It has gotten me into more trouble over the years than I care to remember. Thanks again to all.

Shane

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Portland Huh? Lol how about some Ford Racing Agressive Axel Back Pipes! That'l be sure to annoy all them liberal hippies in their Priuses and Insights.....

I have them pipes and they are awesome!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL, yeah them hippies are all over the place. Want to change everything. The got the state replacing the DEQ laws to match California. Pretty cool blowing them away at the lights. Then they stare at you like you were some kind of outlaw renegede or something. I've got FM on right now, probably change sometime in the future. Looking into the CAI right now, hopefully before the next couple of weeks and then go from there.

Shane

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
haha i was in Portland back when Kerry and Bush each had political rallies/appearances at the same time on opposite sides of the river (Columbia?) it was freaking hillarious driving by on the news later they said 10,000+ were at the Kerry rally and 500 people were at Bush's lol, i still think Howard Dean would've won if ran... BYOAH!!!!

*sorry if this thread just went wayyyy off topic:embarrassed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts