Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking for some input on the following. I have a 2005 mustang gt auto, stock, and I have done some exterior mods and do not know much about engine mods and most of that, but I want to start somewhere. Right now I was looking into a new exhaust system and a cold air intake kit, but do not know much about any of the brands. If anyone has any suggestions or comments in general, please let me know. Below are some pics of my stang.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/2106000-2106999/2106399_27_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/2106000-2106999/2106399_31_full.jpg
http://img25.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img05272ob.jpg
http://img44.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img04799ab.jpg

·
Registered
829 Posts
Get the Diablo Predator! It's NOT LOCKED !!

Your posts askes for "comments in general" so.....
First! SWEET lookin' car! like the pictures !
Second: didn't ask about tuners but it will come up down the road for you especially if looking at CAI's.

I suggest the Diablo especially since I have been reading about the XCAL2 being locked out from the user changing things and then you have to keep after the seller to email you another tune.. Been reading this over at the Mustang Source forum.

Here's one:
I was quite dissapointed to find out that my Xcal2 does not allow me to change anything....
It has version 1.3 firmware in it and that versions does not allow you to do anything unless the dealer specifically programs it to have that feature... And you deler has to be using the V 3.0 or higher of their tuning software...
So, I cannot fix the shift problem myself
It is very close to false advertising from SCT if you ask me....

Here's another:
I agree about the Predator being more user-friendly than the X2. I've been saying that for a long time. And I don't recall which revision it was (r22 for the U7140 maybe? )

another:
yeah i have brenspeed and he doesnt sent xtr files, sucks. I played around with it today, and even max them at at +7 and it didnt even change a thing. Looks like ill be calling brent up

:worship I like my C&L intake and user friendly and adjustable Diablo Predator tuner.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Good info, only thing is the things do not work for some reason, you mind re-posting with the links so I can check them out? Appreciate it!

·
Registered
829 Posts
xeroinsanity said:
Thanks! Good info, only thing is the things do not work for some reason, you mind re-posting with the links so I can check them out? Appreciate it!
I have this system on both of my GT's.

http://www.cnlperformance.com/2005GT.html

It can be purchased a hundred or so cheaper with some searching around. I think I paid $695 for mine.

There is a longstanding debate on the choice of CAI's and Tuners that will never really go away I think. You serve up yourself an evenings reading and reviewing the kits and your needs, make up your mind and then do some more reading / reviewing and see where you end up in a few weeks! There's a LOT of opinions on this type of kit. I am happy with both of mine. C&L did start offering a "racer kit" that is $100 less too. I am sure in a few days you see many other options show up here in your post. It will be interesting what you end up with!
Take your time, and enjoy discovering all the kits and opinions out there!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I never really knew too much about tuners, thats why I am starting with cold air intake (that link you gave me is great) and exhaust, but any suggestions or info here helps me! Thanks alot, I cant wait to what what other people post as well :)

·
Registered
559 Posts
xeroinsanity said:
Yeah I never really knew too much about tuners, thats why I am starting with cold air intake (that link you gave me is great) and exhaust, but any suggestions or info here helps me! Thanks alot, I cant wait to what what other people post as well :)
Dear Xeroinsanity,

I have the same set up in my 2005 GT...

A CAI no matter what brand will not yield the best results unless you by a tuner and install one of their programs...

The Diablo is in fact the most user friendly and the settings can be changes at any time...

I run a Steeda CAI and have gained substantial gains from this CAI and the Diablo tune...

Since we both are running automatics, the 3.31 gear ratio in our trannys is pretty lame so I moved to a FRPP 3.73 rear gear install...

BIG DIFFERENCE!!!

Good Luck and post back when you choose your setup...

Dave :winks :winks :winks :winks

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I'm (like most tuners and racers) a SCT guy... it is a better unit with more and deeper adjustments available.

The guys not beeing able to change the tune have bought a special custom tune from a tuner. That tune is protected, kinda like copywrighted... It is so that it can't be used by others, or the perimeters copied and put into another.

If/when you need a change the tuner will provide it, so yes you're stuck with him/her, but you also will ALWAYS have professional tunes and you will not fudge things up!

This is only if it is locked, some don't do it, some only lock engine perimeters, so it's up to the tuner, not SCT.

The Diablo is easier to use... because it is simpler... :rolleyes:

I have and like ALLOT the Tunable Inductions CAI with a MD custom tune, best bang for the buck out there, easily!
http://www.modulardepot.com/product_info.php?cPath=33&products_id=248

If you have the money to spend, and dont need the bling I'd stay with the stock muffs (stealth, perfect for Cali) and get som catted headers.
http://www.modulardepot.com/product_info.php?products_id=229

Thes three parts for under $2,000 will add ~50 HP and an AWESOME sound, again I have it... and look stock to the DMV, until they open the hood... I'm sure they won't know the cats have been moved... they might not even know the intake is AM...??

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
go to www.bamachips.com/ and you will get a great program for your automatic and doug sends either a xrt or LL3 file.great service,great program and do a search on him and see what others say.and get a set of ford 3.73 gears.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've been running the Tunable Induction intake on my 2005 GT for a month now and it is a great mod. The 93 octane tune pulls HARD!:happyhapp

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gpp said:
go to www.bamachips.com/ and you will get a great program for your automatic and doug sends either a xrt or LL3 file.great service,great program and do a search on him and see what others say.and get a set of ford 3.73 gears.
Alot of good info on that site, thanks. Thanks everyone who replied for helping me, I am still looking around but mostly just for ones mentioned in here. I will post my final results when I decide, thanks again :wavey

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have the JLT CAI with the SCT tune and love it. Add that to my FRPP exhaust, and it is sweeeet.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have the C&L kit on my 05 gt vert that I had installed this Summer. Had I known that I was putting a supercharger in I wouldn't have spent the money on the gear. I did love the intake and the XCAL2 though and would be willing to sell the gear to you at a good deal if you're interested.
Gig4Fun said:
I have this system on both of my GT's.

http://www.cnlperformance.com/2005GT.html

It can be purchased a hundred or so cheaper with some searching around. I think I paid $695 for mine.

There is a longstanding debate on the choice of CAI's and Tuners that will never really go away I think. You serve up yourself an evenings reading and reviewing the kits and your needs, make up your mind and then do some more reading / reviewing and see where you end up in a few weeks! There's a LOT of opinions on this type of kit. I am happy with both of mine. C&L did start offering a "racer kit" that is $100 less too. I am sure in a few days you see many other options show up here in your post. It will be interesting what you end up with!
Take your time, and enjoy discovering all the kits and opinions out there!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts