Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to bring my 2005 Mustang GT in today for an inspection and it failed. They said my ball joints were bad. I am a bit surprised that the ball joints could have gone bad on a car that is not even 3 years old yet. I am guessing that they have checked them wrong, but since the car is under warranty still I scheduled an appointment with my ford dealership to check this out. Has anyone else had any problems with their ball joints?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I get the three year annivesary in 27 days. No ball joint problems that I can tell, but I'll ask the dealer to look.

What kind of roads do you have to drive on? Speed bumps and potholes take their toll.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Didn't know ball joints were in the inspection list. I'll remember this and pass it on to others too.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
NY roads are tough on suspensions. I absolutely hate driving the BQE. Many places are getting strict on the ball joint issue. If there's any play at all they'll fail them. The big problem is the ball joints are welded into the stock suspension arms, requiring a full replacement first time around. After that, you can change just the ball joint.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Yeah, I had an old full size Bronco, and it failed inspection because of the ball joints. I am surprised that they need replacing already. How many miles do you have on the car?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have not done any suspension mods yet and the car has about 23K miles on it. i do drive in new york city and this car is my daily driver, needless to say this car has been through quite a bit. I asked the inspector to show me the problem and from what i could see there was a little play but not a whole lot. Im glad the warranty is still good because im guessing the control arms would be an expensive part. ill have ford check it out and ill let everyone know the outcome.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i edited my other post....about 23k miles

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my thoughts exactly....

·
Registered
785 Posts
When I lived in New Jersey, ball joints and headlight aim were always things that made you come back. Interesting, right outside the Inspection Station exit door was an alignment shop.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
I've read in another site that the inner support gusset was cracking and the outer one with large front wheels hit the gusset.
I thought they resolved the cracking issue when Dan (5Twenty) reported having problems. I thought they redesigned them to remove the BMR stamping from the metal plate.

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
I thought they resolved the cracking issue when Dan (5Twenty) reported having problems. I thought they redesigned them to remove the BMR stamping from the metal plate.
You know they may have but I haven't heard or saw any of the new ones. They are good for there service.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I sincerely doubt the ball joints will be covered by warranty. Ball joints are considered a consumable item.
I get a kick out of all the companies that tout that they don't have any points on the car that require greasing. I had the same issue with my F-150. I asked the salesman how many grease points there were on the truck. He proudly told me none. So both upper and lower ball joints failed and had to be replaced...and the new ball joints/ control arms came with grease fittings. It wasn't that the joints never needed greasing, Ford (and most manufacturers) in their infinite wisdom and penny pinching, never supplied any. And as a kicker - for ease of assembly - weld in the ball joints. So first go around you need to replace the entire part.
Sorry for the rant, it's a pet peeve of mine.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Mark's exactly correct. I showed them the cracking and they instantly redesigned the brace and sent me the first pair. My 255 tire touches the other brace in the MOST MINUTE WAY when cranked all the way over. Not enough to hurt the tire but enough to know it's happened. In other words, for 255 and smaller it's not a problem.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.