Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i performed the fuel pump swap to clear a evap leak code this morning. however, finishing up my install, i had a b!tsh of a time getting the new lock ring installed.

it's on there right now, but it's not quite all the way on. there are raised little dimples on the lock ring that appear to be meant to slip under raised portions of the fuel tank ring. right now, the dimples are right at the front of where the fuel tank ring starts (see pictures).

i was using an extension for a socket and a screwdriver as a punch with a hammer. i unfortunately didn't have a brass punch (since ordered). getting the thing off was fine, and i have the original lock ring which is in great condition comparatively. b/c of the screwdriver and hammer, the metal is effectively cut and bent. i tried my best putting things right with some pliers.

i have ordered a generic ford fuel pump wrench from napa since i can't seem to source the ford blessed 310-D006 lock ring wrench anywhere (including ford parts dept. and dealers). i plan on putting the old ring back on if the wrench that i ordered works.

in any case, i've been driving around w/o my rear seat and carefully monitoring the lock ring to see if it's slipping at all and looking for fuel leaks. so far, everything is solid (knock on wood)....

so, do you guys think that where the lock ring is at, it's good enough to last? is it worth it to go through with replacing the ring back to the old one with the brass punches that i ordered (assuming the universal fuel lock ring wrench doesn't work as planned)?

crappage. see attached pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
There are a couple tangs on the fuel pump plate that have to be located in the tank top for the plate to drop down all the way then the green ring will go on easy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are a couple tangs on the fuel pump plate that have to be located in the tank top for the plate to drop down all the way then the green ring will go on easy.
hmm... what do you mean? iirc from looking at the top of the new fuel pump before i installed, it was flush and even throughout the circumference where the lock ring is supposed to sit atop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts