Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally ordered some American Racing Headers for my 2005 GT but when I was installing the driver side the front bolt hole seems to be off by about 1/16 or more of an inch, what would be the best thing to do for this?
Any advice is valued at this point, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Are the primaries all lined up with the ports? If not you may have recieved headers for a differerent motor.

If it's just the bolt hole, the proper thing to do would be to take a picture and contact American Racing.

However if you want it done quickly (without getting UPS involved), get out the drill and make a bigger hole in the header flange (and bigger washer), or somehow machine the hole over until it lines up with the hole in the head. Check later to make sure you aren't leaking exhaust.

Don't crossthread the bolt, you're dealing with aluminum and it could break/strip. (You probably know this...but sometimes when you're stressed things aren't as obvious).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes they all do line up, I took off the gaskets from the stockers and put them on to make sure, I then noticed that one of the new header holes did not line up correctly with the stock gaskets. So that is probably the problem im assuming but would drilling it out cause it to become to weak?

·
Registered
985 Posts
I would not drill the hole bigger....return them, if you have the same problem buy from a different maker....if anything on resizing the holes, using a die grinder, elongate the hole in the direction it's short of sliding on and no more.....

·
Registered
534 Posts
Wow 1/16 is not much. I'm sure you tried to loosen all of the other header bolts to see how much cumulative play there is. When I installed my Kooks I noticed that each bolt hole was just slightly larger than the stock headers, not by much though. Take a header bolt and put it through the stock header, and then the ARs to see if they are indeed a little wider.

At the end of the day, if you don't think it's right, send em back

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

1 - 5 of 5 Posts