Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post here, thanks for having me.

I have a 2005 Mustang GT Convertible with a Shaker 500 stereo.

Was reading that some Mustangs had the wiring harness for the Shaker 1000, is that true? If so, how can I tell if it's there? Mine was built 7/05.

Jim

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!
Check to see if you have any connectors in the rear trunk. You may need to pull back the carpeting on the side.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll do that, thanks. For some reason I was thinking that the 1000 had 2 trunk subwoofer units -- now I find that one unit has 2 subwoofers in it. I am a complete noob on this stereo stuff.

I bought 4 subwoofer amps, a subwoofer and harness off Ebay and was hoping to get a Shaker 1000 head unit and start shaking windows!

(Just kidding -- I know it won't be that easy... I've read about some of the horror stories of upgrading from a 500 to a 1000.)

I just needed to know where to start.........

Jim

·
Registered
432 Posts
A good amp and sub in the trunk (around $300) with a Shaker 500 will kill a 1000.... And installs very easily in an hour or two:gringreen
Not taking anything away from the 1000 cause it sounds really good, just a headache considering the end result is still a factory sub.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand -but - I want to keep my car all Ford - especially since I've already bought the subwoofer, amplifiers and harness (and the head unit today).

Even though my car is a 2005, the wires are not there. Could be because it's a vert?

Next stop will be the stereo shop, this is way past my level of expertise. (Unless they're sky high on the price -- then I'll have to figure it out).

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
14 Posts
A good amp and sub in the trunk (around $300) with a Shaker 500 will kill a 1000.... And installs very easily in an hour or two:gringreen
Not taking anything away from the 1000 cause it sounds really good, just a headache considering the end result is still a factory sub.

ive been thinking about doing mine and adding a touch screen

what kind of aftermarket sub and amp do you recommend ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone have a stock Shaker 1000 trunk subwoofer amp rack ?

I have the amps but no way to mount them behind the trunk subwoofer.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
432 Posts
ive been thinking about doing mine and adding a touch screen

what kind of aftermarket sub and amp do you recommend ?
So many to choose from, I would say that it depends on the quality of sound you want and what brand you are partial to. I am running a single Kicker Comp VR 12 and a Kicker 300 watt mono amp. Sounds very good and adds a deep quality bass, but does not overpower the rest of the sytem which is stock. I also used the optional remote gain control, since some music has much more bass than others. I tried many different configurations, but the best sound came from the sub firing toward the rear of the car. This caused some rattle initially, but a few pieces of dynomat fixed that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.