Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am putting the driver side header in, and I have 2 issues, one it never tells me to put both gaskets on, but I went ahead and did that. Second, it tells me, "you will have to space the top mount away from the head with the spacer provided." Where is this spacer, and where does it go? I have looked through all of my stuff, and haven't found a spacer. Second does it go in between the header, and the block on the top front stud? I find that a little ambiguous. In the meantime, I guess I will get all the bolts started, and start breaking the passenger side loose.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Not sure about the spacer; have never heard of it. Maybe they meant a spacer for the gasket, but you already have it in.

Are these the instructions you have? If so, I think they mean to leave a gap inbetween for the other gasket. A)I would use new gaskets, but if they say it's ok, then that's fine as well and B)their step makes no sense.

I would just keep on truckin'. Get that passenger manifold out and you'll be in the home stretch.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I have no idea what spacer they are talking about... I have the same set of headers, and I used the factory gaskets. Just bolt it on, get that passenger side done, and fire her up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure about the spacer; have never heard of it. Maybe they meant a spacer for the gasket, but you already have it in.

Are these the instructions you have? If so, I think they mean to leave a gap inbetween for the other gasket. A)I would use new gaskets, but if they say it's ok, then that's fine as well and B)their step makes no sense.

I would just keep on truckin'. Get that passenger manifold out and you'll be in the home stretch.

Yes those are the same instructions. Check out step 10.
Hopefully the old gaskets work, but at least exhaust leaks are easy to hear.
Well didn't really get anything else done today. ran out of daylight. This 1, 1.5 hours of work a night is annoying me. I want to hurry up and finish already. Can't wait to hear how it sounds. All I have todo is tighten down the driver side header, and then get to work on the passenger side.

Thanks,
Allen

·
Registered
47 Posts
It says it in the instructions...
Re-install the dipstick. You will have to space the top mount away from the head with the spacer provided....atleast its how I interrpeted it? Hey I could be wrong...

·
Registered
539 Posts
Priced some long tube headers last night. Wow they seem pricey!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
man am I frustrated. I can't get the passenger side headers on. What is the secret? How much space do I need under my car. I just have it on some jack stands. Is my clearance the issue? I am frustrated as hell. I am cussing up a storm right now.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
man am I frustrated. I can't get the passenger side headers on. What is the secret? How much space do I need under my car. I just have it on some jack stands. Is my clearance the issue? I am frustrated as hell. I am cussing up a storm right now.
So you can slide it in from underneath? (yeah, I know that sounds bad :) ) Where are you having clearance problems? Is the starter giving you problems?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
The passenger side header will likely have to come from underneath. Try to get someone to "push" the engine to the right a tad and see if that gives you proper clearance. You do have the engine jacked up, right?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i got it. I took the bolt that attaches the transmission to the rear brace of, and raised the transmission 1/4" and it went in. Then I had to remove the last of the 8 studs, to get it into place. Now I have to get the gaskets squezzed into place.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Sounds good... Which H-pipe are you putting in, O/R or catted?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.