Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2005 GT with stock manifolds and JBA mufflers. Yesterday I installed Bassani off road x pipes now the car has a very loud popping sound like machinegun fire, exhaust note at 2500 - 3000 rpm. I would like any feed back on why this system sounds like a burnt out nova I would install the Bassani cats but the ones they sent me are lackin the senor bungs. Hate to switch it all back to the stock h pipe but the sound really sucks. Could this be a leak in the back mufflers.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have the Bassani off road x pipe too, but I also have long tube headers. Mine dont sound like machine gun fire at that range but it does sound crappy.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I think you might want to go back to your stock exhaust and get JBA stainless axle back mufflers. I get that deep big block sound and there is no popping sound.

·
Registered
79 Posts
if sound is what you are looking for. i have recently had a custome mid muffler system made using flowmaster 10 series race mufflers and i love it it almost has that 60s big block sound. if i could i would post a sound file of it but i am out to sea with the USS Ronald Reagan and will not see my car for 6 months. But hay it gives me time to save up for the KB 2.6l s/c a fried of mine has a 66 with a 289 with long tubes and glass packs and he is jelous of my flowmaster 10 series. they are a one chamber so they are loud and deep.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I have a pypes off road x with the pypes street pros and i really like it.Normal driving t(CRUISING)here is no drone and not much louder than stock.When you step on it, LOOK OUT !

·
Registered
55 Posts
ANY X pipe is gonna have that "popping" sound you describe.If you want a great sounding exhaust try a Pypes H pipe with those Bassani's & you'll love it.I have sound a bunch of Bassani axle backs w/h NO complaints about the "popping","burbling" or " machine gun fire"! Except when combined with an X pipe & I haven't put an axle back on yet that won't do those things.I have installed Flowmasters,FRPP's,Borla's & Bassani's & with an X you always get some of that sound that's why I personally recommend an H ipe on any of the cars I do.

G

·
ANY X pipe is gonna have that "popping" sound you describe.If you want a great sounding exhaust try a Pypes H pipe with those Bassani's & you'll love it.I have sound a bunch of Bassani axle backs w/h NO complaints about the "popping","burbling" or " machine gun fire"! Except when combined with an X pipe & I haven't put an axle back on yet that won't do those things.I have installed Flowmasters,FRPP's,Borla's & Bassani's & with an X you always get some of that sound that's why I personally recommend an H ipe on any of the cars I do.

Not true.

The stock GT500 has an Xpipe and it sounds very good, just a tad over stock GT's.

I have an Xpipe, zero "popping" or machine gun fire.

It is a smooth sound that only gets beastly at WOT and even then it is a great sound...the Off Road stuff is exacty that..for Off Road.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Not true.

The stock GT500 has an Xpipe and it sounds very good, just a tad over stock GT's.

I have an Xpipe, zero "popping" or machine gun fire.

It is a smooth sound that only gets beastly at WOT and even then it is a great sound...the Off Road stuff is exacty that..for Off Road.
I agree 100% .love the sound ,dont know about the popping. Now matter what i do to the exhaust, it is not going to sound like a big block.I used to have a 514 (bored and stroked 460) and a 429 cobra jet torino cobra,so i very familiar with the big block sound.

·
Registered
57 Posts
how to have a powerfull sound

i wouldlike a powerfull sound what should i buy and i need to tune it after get it let me know thanks
guy

·
Registered
137 Posts
i have a bassani O/R modular x pipe and Bassani axle backs, i have no bad popping what so ever out of mine......it is loud, yes, but no "popping" like a machine gun........you might need to check for exhaust leaks, wait, you NEED to check for exhaust leaks!!......im 99.9% sure thats whats wrong.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have a 2005 GT with stock manifolds and JBA mufflers.

Could be the mufflers. I have the same midpipe, but before i put the SLP's on I had Flowmaster American Thunders on and they are what caused the popping machine gun sound you are describing at a specific rpm. Went back to my Loudmouths, no poppin.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Was thinking of going with the pypes 50 state legal x-pipe. I,m running the magnaflow system from the h-pipe back. Anyone have this set up if so how's the sound.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.