Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
doing some cam work to 05 mustang gt. after put in my new comp cams in, was torqueing the cam caps down not knowing the in-lb torque wrench was bad, snapped 4 out of the 10 bolts. cant find them anywhere need help, ford dealer all ready gave me the wrong bolts need help fast thanks!

·
Registered
41,825 Posts
Welcome lets try your question in here.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
doing some cam work to 05 mustang gt. after put in my new comp cams in, was torqueing the cam caps down not knowing the in-lb torque wrench was bad, snapped 4 out of the 10 bolts. cant find them anywhere need help, ford dealer all ready gave me the wrong bolts need help fast thanks!
You either need the exact part number from Ford or the specifications of them so you can source them from a fastener supply company.....if you want to do it right.

You have about a zero % chance of anything going wrong if you simply get replacements (for all of them) with a grade rating of 12.9 (ratings are different from standard to metric fasteners). And probably a new torque wrench.;)

I'm pretty anal about that kind of stuff when it comes to engine building (I go as far as to replace all bearings with ceramic ones, which is rather silly) and I would have no issues with replacing all the cam cap bolts with 12.9 grade fasteners, chasing the threads with a tap and lubing the threads up before tourqing.

And when it comes to Torque wrenches you get what you pay for unfortunately. after snapping a few things with Crapsman torque wrenches I got a set (1/2, 3/8, 1/4 drive) Snap On wrenches and have never had a problem since. They cost somewhere about a billio $$ though.:happyhapp

·
Registered
769 Posts
Cam bolts

Right out of my service manual Camshaft bearing cap bolts N807834. Torque is 89 in/lb. Just in case you were not aware the cam phasor retaining bolt is a TTL (Torque To Yield) bolt and MUST be replaced. It's not a matter of if it will fail its when it fails if you try an re-use it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks you all have been lots of help! i had everything going good i had the torque specs the correct sequence the mistake i made was borrowing a in-lb torque wrench form a trusting friend. no more borrowing, but i think the bolt number will help alot! i'll let yall know!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.