Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a used 2005 Mustan GT and am definately nearing the point where i need new tires. Any advice on what brands / sizes? I have the stock 17in rims with the Pirelli PzeroNero tires on now. (P235/55 ZR17 98w m+s)

Just looking for some opinions on good brands and also sizes that others have used.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
I've had great luck with Kumho, Sumitomo, and Nitto (Just realized that I've run nothing but Japanese tires :) ) You could do a 255-50 on those rims.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Love my Nitto's, but I am not sure on the sizes for the stock wheels. BFG kdw's are good too...My bubby has them on his 08

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Nitto

I'm fond of the Nittos. The Pirellis have gotten so expensive they are crazy now.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you are looking for all around tire for use in all weather I would suggest the Firestone Firehawk GT tires. I have had them for a couple months and they are great. I have had not traction issues and they grab great from take off. My 2 cents anyways. Just pick a tire that fits u :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah....i forgot to mention that i probably will need to get all season tires b/c i do live in the north and unfortunately wont be able to garage my car for the winter

let me know if u guys have any suggestions

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Rain

And the Pirellis aren't all that good anyway. +1 on the Nittos (except in the rain :( )
I run the Firestone Firehawks on my 2002, and I like them a lot, but I don't think they are available in the right size (I would agree with stlwagon, I'd want 255/50's). Mine are 275/35 18's on the front, for instance. SVTOA selected these tires as their recommended tire for the 03/04 Cobras.

I ran Nittos 555 Extremes on another car, and they were excellent. I didn't notice that they were poor in the rain, but that car rarely saw rain (weekend driver).

UPDATE: ALL season tires? BFG KDWS, or the Kumho ASX KU-21's.

My idea: Look on ebay for a set of wheels and winter tires for sale, and just swap them on when needed. Save the good threads and rims for the sunny days. Curb impacts are also a danger on slick roads.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
My idea: Look on ebay for a set of wheels and winter tires for sale, and just swap them on when needed. Save the good threads and rims for the sunny days. Curb impacts are also a danger on slick roads.
If you are going that way (which would be a great way to go) get a summer set with BFG Comp TA KD's or KDW's (W is for water) depending on if you drive in the rain.

And get a winter set with I think they are Bridgestone's but I know the tires name is the Blizzak (or however you spell it). My buddy runs these in the winter on his M5 and they are INCREDIBLE! I drove it in the snow and I would have thought it was a full blown rally car. They seem to be lasting him mutiple seasons too and he drives like an A hole.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I think eventually I will end up doing that....prolly not right now though bc im pretty broke, unless i find a good deal. If you know anyone selling or ever see any good prices let me know...I'll be looking too though

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.