Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a new dash with the MyColor feature and I have a few questions about it before I decide to purchase.

-Will it keep my original odometer reading? I'd like to figure that is stored in the ECU, but I don't know for sure.

-How do you change the colors? I test drove a Stang a long time ago and kinda remember changing the colors from buttons on the steering wheel; buttons I don't currently have.

-The two new gauges at the bottom, will they just turn on automatically turn on once it's plugged in? Or will additional wirework be needed?

If I were to get it, I would likely take it to the dealer for install. That way they could find the rattle/clicking noise behind the dash as well.

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Everything should plug and play but to extract the data contained in the unit there is a specific Ford handheld tool.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. I guess it would be safe to assume that the dealer would have that. I'll still call them about the buttons on the wheel before ordering. Don't want to spend an arm and a leg for this.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Cool. I guess it would be safe to assume that the dealer would have that. I'll still call them about the buttons on the wheel before ordering. Don't want to spend an arm and a leg for this.
Agree it's best to double-check before you pull the plug and buy it.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
The control for MY COLOR is in the dash and not in the steering wheel.It's a cool feature.Good luck.

·
Registered
922 Posts
kruzzzn is correct...it's the three buttons, "info", "setup", and "reset", to the left of the power outlet in the dash. For the stangs that didn't have that option, the buttons are just blanks.

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
I take it you only have the two upper gages on the center dash. If you want the others to work you will have to check and see if it has the sending units installed to work them.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The control for MY COLOR is in the dash and not in the steering wheel.It's a cool feature.Good luck.
It is a cool feature, but mine does not have it. I did not know that you could buy it and add it on....I'll have to check that out.:hihi:

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kruzzzn is correct...it's the three buttons, "info", "setup", and "reset", to the left of the power outlet in the dash. For the stangs that didn't have that option, the buttons are just blanks.
Ok, that makes sense then. Mine is blank on the left side. Maybe it comes with the harness or I can get the buttons from the dealer.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
I take it you only have the two upper gages on the center dash. If you want the others to work you will have to check and see if it has the sending units installed to work them.
I believe the sending units and all the wiring is there.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I just talked w/ a Ford dealer on a related topic (replacing guages) and was told that the data comes from the PCM so all you have to do (famous last words) is make certain you wire up whatever correctly.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've done this. Some cars do not have the proper wiring, some do. Use a small screwdriver to carefully remove the blank, where the buttons would be. If there is a plug with wires plugged into it in the back of the blank, you're good to go.

You need to order both the cluster, and the switch assembly that will go where the blank is. You'll need to give your dealer your VIN#, and an estimate of your odometer reading when you order. This number is what they load into the cluster.

It is pretty much plug and play, but the wires do have to already be there, and the dealer does need to load your info into the new cluster using the tool Stlwagon mentioned.

·
Registered
710 Posts
It's a super easy install. I just installed it on my Mustang.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I know this is old, but i want to do this to my 08. i wanted to start with one piece at a time...the buttons. i cant find it anywhere. not even on fordparts.com. Then eventually i will order the whole cluster. Does anyone know these part numbers, one for 6 guage cluster and one for the 3 button piece? Thanks alot.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Mine has it its kind of cool

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.