Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
this post has 2 purposes, as it is my first post on these forums, so I would like to say "Hi"

The second purpose is to share my experience with rear brake calipers on the 05 GT.
Recently i had to replace my rear axles (went with Moser axles, love them). In the process of re-installing everything, my calipers had closed just enough to not slide back over the rotors.
I had tried one of the brake tools from Canadian Tire (yes, I'm Canadian, don't hold it against me! :hihi:), which I had to modify by cutting two of the prongs off with a dremel tool (so far my best investment).
the issue came when I could not, for the life of me, using the brake tool, or even a C-clamp, get the piston to budge.
During a phone call to a friend who is a Ford mechanic, he suggested I loosen off the bleeder screw a hair and try a C-clamp then. Unfortunately, this didn't work either. I removed the bleeder screw completely (Yes, I bled my brakes after everything was back together :p) and tried again with the brake piston tool. Worked like a charm.

So, the long and short of this is:
1. Modify brake tool to work on our pistons (I'll attach an image of my modified tool when I get a chance, hopefully later tonight)
2. Remove bleeder screw completely (11mm wrench on my mustang, I don't know if American models used metric or imperial sizing)
3. Attach brake tool to 3/8ths drive ratchet
4. Turn and push
5. Victory beer. :cheers

·
Registered
50 Posts
Make sure the parking brake is released

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

I'm getting ready to do my brakes as well, and to be honest, I probably would have had my parking brake on and just not even have thought of it. Funny how some of the most obvious things slip our minds when it's something you do every day (like trying to flip on a light switch when you go in a room when the power is out).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts