Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys i have read everywhere and cant seem to find answers. its about the dreaded split tank these cars have. I changed out the fuel pump drivers side and all was well. but recently i only have half of the tank getting gas the drivers side with the pump. so could it be the sending unit gone bad now or could it be the hose that runs between the tanks going bad. also is there some kind of jet pump i have read about in the passengers side where the sending unit is. is this bad. like i say i only have half a tank now i hope someone has had this problem before. thanks again for any help

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
If your car seems like it's running on empty even though you have half a tank of gas, it's possible the transfer pump on the passenger side has gone south.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey thanks for the reply. i keep hearing that there isnt a pump on the pass side. some say there is some say there isnt. i keep hearing that the crossover tube is connected somewhere on the passengers side. but where is it connected to. I pulled the drivers side pump yesterday and made sure that the crossover tube had a good tight connection. it did. so what do you guys think. thanks again for the replies

·
Registered
161 Posts
hey thanks for the reply. i keep hearing that there isnt a pump on the pass side. some say there is some say there isnt. i keep hearing that the crossover tube is connected somewhere on the passengers side. but where is it connected to. I pulled the drivers side pump yesterday and made sure that the crossover tube had a good tight connection. it did. so what do you guys think. thanks again for the replies
its a fuel level sending unit not an actual pump but it looks fairly similar to the driver's side fuel pump housing
There is a connector tube from that sending unit over to the driver's side tank
From the driver's side there is a connector from the fuel pump housing (i'm not 100% sure where it connects to, either the passenger sending unit or straight to the canister)

Attached is a picture from inside the tank in the passenger side. The picture is you inside the passenger side facing the driver's side. The large tube coming from top right goes out the back corner of the tank to the canister. The other tube on the left going to the driver's side is coming from passenger's sending unit.
Automotive exterior Cable Windscreen wiper Wire Windshield

·
Administrator
5,102 Posts
@dean1112

Welcome to AFM!
Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your account details.
We’re glad you’ve joined us.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey i sure appreciate the picture and help. so does the hose that is in the passengers side is this connected to the actual sending unit that is in the passengers side. also i didnt know there was any type of canister that was connected to the hoses. im still at a loss as to what in the world is going on with no fuel getting to the drivers side main pump thanks again for the help

·
Registered
161 Posts
hey i sure appreciate the picture and help. so does the hose that is in the passengers side is this connected to the actual sending unit that is in the passengers side. also i didnt know there was any type of canister that was connected to the hoses. im still at a loss as to what in the world is going on with no fuel getting to the drivers side main pump thanks again for the help
Yeah the hose from the passenger side is connected at the sending unit and goes over to the driver's side.
That canister is the one below the spare tire. Rear looks much better without it :D

Didn't quite understand the problem. From what i know the filler fuel hose goes straight into the driver's side part of the tank. I don't see how it is not getting fuel
Does the passenger side have more fuel than the driver's side and you're running empty on the driver's side? If that's the issue i think the passenger sending unit is the problem

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ya the passenger side of the tank has to be full. I’m just assuming this because the dam gauge never goes below half full so I am sure it’s full. Also the driver side will run out of fuel like clockwork as soon as the gauge gets to near half a tank. So it’s like we just have a 8 gallon tank lol. I’m going to look into it again this weekend but sure do appreciate the help that’s for sure I’ll post what I find something

UPDATE:
I tried another fuel pump and now gas is getting to the drivers side main pump. car still runs out of gas with 1 quarter tank left. has to be a sending unit issue not reading right. I did make a new thread on my new issue. car gets to half a tank and takes a long time to crank over. soon as i fill up to full starts like a dream. cant win for loosing with this car. o well anybody any any suggestion let me know or if you have had this problem. thanks again

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi guys i have read everywhere and cant seem to find answers. its about the dreaded split tank these cars have. I changed out the fuel pump drivers side and all was well. but recently i only have half of the tank getting gas the drivers side with the pump. so could it be the sending unit gone bad now or could it be the hose that runs between the tanks going bad. also is there some kind of jet pump i have read about in the passengers side where the sending unit is. is this bad. like i say i only have half a tank now i hope someone has had this problem before. thanks again for any help
I have the same problem did you find it

·
Super Moderator
2,401 Posts
I had the same problem on my 2011 Mustang GT,Ford had to replace the fuel pump under warranty,car would run out of fuel at the half tank mark,and the fuel light would come on and instrument cluster said 5 miles to empty.That was at 5000 miles now at 39000 miles never another problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey guys thanks to all who replied. I have found out a lot about this split tank mostly the hard way. as you know i put a new fuel pump in the car and it was hard to start and still would run out of gas with a quarter tank left. took a 3000 mile trip in it and it broke down. I broke down because i never changed the fuel filter. i mostly work on hondas and im not use to fuel filters going south in cars atleast they didnt on my honda. i put in a new fuel pump again because the filter was so clogged that it was making pump run to hard. filter was really clogged could barely blow through it. anyway long story short these cars must have fuel filters changed about every 30 thousand miles or else say goodbye to your fuel pumps. now car starts right up runs perfect and doesnt run out of gas at a quarter tank. ford lesson learned. hope this helps you guys later

·
Registered
11,401 Posts
thanks for the update

you are talking about the fuel filter that is located in the fuel line, on the bottom of the car, under the passenger door if I remember correctly -- right?

just asking because there is a little confusion around this; I think the later years do not have that fuel filter, they only have the one that is in the tank, which is supposed to be a "lifetime" filter

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Registered
2007 Mustang GT Convertible
30 Posts
If you have the saddle bag fuel tank, check the venting tube which leads to a large torpedo shaped charcoal filter the the rear of the car, if that’s blocked air doesn’t escape the saddles which doesn’t let the other side fill with fuel. I had exactly the same fault and removed it completely and never had the problem again

1 - 15 of 15 Posts