Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2005 ford mustang, i went on vacation for a week, came back to a dead battery. charged the battery and have had no problems with it since, but, i have a rough idle now. sprayed throttle body cleaner in and idle seemed to clear up, except when air conditioner is on, it will idle all the way to 0 or die when pushing in clutch and coming to a stop. idle is only idling at 500 rpms to 700 rpms with no air on. is there anything else i can try before taking to a mechanic and spending alot of money.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
i have a 2005 ford mustang, i went on vacation for a week, came back to a dead battery. charged the battery and have had no problems with it since, but, i have a rough idle now. sprayed throttle body cleaner in and idle seemed to clear up, except when air conditioner is on, it will idle all the way to 0 or die when pushing in clutch and coming to a stop. idle is only idling at 500 rpms to 700 rpms with no air on. is there anything else i can try before taking to a mechanic and spending alot of money.
Did you take off the throttle body and use a bottle brush to clean it?
Spray Mass air flow sensor cleaner on the MAF ,there are 2 torx screws that have to be removed. Don`t touch the inside of the sensor with your fingers. Spray it clean and your done.

·
Banned
612 Posts
When was the last time you replaced the spark plugs? It could be that you have a fouled plug or two as well.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Before getting too involved in cleaning and replacing parts, it's possible the ECU has to re-learn the idle strategy due to the battery dying. That may take 20-40 miles of driving.
There's also a procedure in the battery maintenance section of the owner's manual that may expedite the re-learing process.

·
Banned
612 Posts
Well, I have a 06, the battery was disconnected all winter. Hooked it up, cycled the key three times, started right up as if it hadn't sat at all. No idle issues, no driveability problems, nothing. If the car "dies" it's more than just re-learning idle involved. (in my opinion, at least)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
My suggestion is based on personal experience with a battery replacement. (My engine died a few times before the ECU re-learned the idle strategy.)
Also, it's always best to troubleshoot a problem with the easiest and least expensive solutions first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts