Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just my car or does everyone else's computer not accurate on determing the mpg and fuel used? I have yet to see any accurate mpg's and fuel used on my 08' GT/CS it's always off by about 1 mpg and about 1 or more gallons used. Should I have it checked or is this about normal?

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
my gallons of gas consumed meter is always .5 gallons off and my MPG always is 1-2 higher on the comp than it is when i do the math after i fill up

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the input, that's what I figured, so what good is the comp.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,863 Posts
I find it much easier just not to worry about the mileage. I really only keep track to ensure I don't have some catastrophic problem, fuel leak, etc.

G

·
I've been monitoring my MPG and "Gallons Used" since I drove off the lot (SEP06). Honestly, my computed numbers are dead-on to the manual calculations (miles driven/ gallons used). Never have been more than .1 or .2 off. I guess if you do a lot of stop-n-go city driving, it might tend to be off by more.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It seems mine is always off but I was never that concerned.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Keep in mind also that it depends on how well the gas pump is calibrated when you get gallon reading on your fill up. Sometimes here the gas nozzle will kick off at different levels on the fill up just from the vapor pressure swing in the tank cause the weather here is so up and down,...

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've always noticed that i've used more gas than what my computer tells me. usually by about a gallon sometimes a gallon and a half.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm surprised anybody even cares beyond curiosity what the mileage is. If you're worried about mileage why would you buy a 300hp V8? Just drive it, pay whatever the gas costs and be glad we still HAVE cars like this to drive at all. We have to do battle now with the global warming BS croud. My vanity plate should read "luvs gas". Ha Ha!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Good point. On the flip side, the "better mileage" that the car shows keeps the wifey at ease, especially when I start talking about mods :) She takes it to work on occasion when I need the truck and just spot checks the computer. If she only knew. I just reset the AVG MPG not the gallons used. Needless to say it shows really good MPG....

·
Registered
298 Posts
Mine is actually very accurate. I usually always need very close to the same amount of gas as compared to what the computer says I used. Whenever I do the math my MPG is very close to the computer as well.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
My car runs on gas, loves to use it, but it polite. not like the filthy animal my truck use to be, getting under 11 MPG when i was LIGHT on the gas pedal...... my mustang feels like a Prius to me now :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys don't get me wrong I don't give a hoot about the gas mileage, just cusious how accurate the computer is.

·
Registered
137 Posts
they are accurate enough to get you a close guestimate on how much gas you use...........we get people with the new 6.4 diesel in the shop almost every day wanting us to make their truck get better gas mileage.......the computer will show about 8 or 9 mpg......they dont reset the average mpg, so it always stays low. we hook our IDS (diagnostic tester) up to the truck and take them for a ride to show them actual fuel consumption at the fuel rails, which is around 18 mpg normal highway driving.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.