Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car is making the loud chirping noise that I understand is from the harmonic balancer (not sure what that part does).... someone looked at the pulleys and saw that my crankshaft pulley seemed to be warped and the belt is slipping... [ how does that happen?]
for said that I shouldn't drive it because it's possible that the pin on the crankshaft could shear and then I would need a new crankshaft.
my second question is if it turns out that I need a crankshaft, would I be better off getting a new engine? and where can I get the best deal?

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
I highly doubt you need a new crankshaft....

You can try AmericanMuscle.com, 50resto.com, Summitracing.com, etc. to find the parts you're looking for.

Are we talking about a GT or a V6 here? I can move this thread into the correct section of the forum, so that you can get better help/results for your question, but need to know which one we're talking about. Or you can just place another thread in the correct section. That way you'll get help from other people that are more familiar with your model.

Thanks for joining the site and enjoy! :bigthumbsup

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
if you need a crank shaft you dont need a new motor, jsut a new shaft, and bolts and bearings.

but if its the pulley it can be replaced easily. i think amustangrocks did his... im not sure though... but they arent bad to do.

look up bob utter ford parts, they have the lowest prices on motorcraft parts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

it's a V6. I will check out those sites for parts.... I'm just afraid to be taken at the Ford dealer.... my warranty would cover all the parts and labor if the Harmonic balancer caused all this. But I don't understand how that could happen....

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
its something you can do at home. it isint bad.

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
a mod will move it eventully. you can pm me for more info if you want to do it yourself

·
Banned
9,214 Posts

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
the crank pulleys coming apart are common. poor designed part. rust gets in there and separates the steel from the rubber and they come apart. the new replacement is better.

dont drive it cause they can come apart and cause other damage, not to mention you loose your steering, water pump and alt if the belt comes off. my belt got a string torn loose on the edge and beat a hole in my hood blanket and the heat sleeve on my egr tube. i dont think it will hurt your crank shaft either way. if you can have it fixed under warranty, do it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@amustangrocks

I've had to drive it for a week like this. The belt is fully in tact but i see that some o the rubber is looking rough on the pulley. I take it to berepaired on Thursday. You've really explained a lot and I really appreciate it.

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
the crank pulleys coming apart are common. poor designed part. rust gets in there and separates the steel from the rubber and they come apart. the new replacement is better.

dont drive it cause they can come apart and cause other damage, not to mention you loose your steering, water pump and alt if the belt comes off. my belt got a string torn loose on the edge and beat a hole in my hood blanket and the heat sleeve on my egr tube. i dont think it will hurt your crank shaft either way. if you can have it fixed under warranty, do it.

i knew youd be along eventuly. i may upgrade mine. you havent heard the news have you hehe...

ordering stage 3 heads, 500/500 cam, forged rods new trans gears and rear end :D

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
I've had to drive it for a week like this. The belt is fully in tact but i see that some o the rubber is looking rough on the pulley. I take it to berepaired on Thursday. You've really explained a lot and I really appreciate it.
it could also be that the process of joining the rubber to the steel breaks loose, then the water gets in and the rust starts. but when mine came apart, there was alot of rust in there.

it starts with the tattered rubber, then the belt will squeal some, the pulley will start to move out of alignment, then it comes apart. it happens pretty fast so your taking a chance driving it. i got lucky cause i made it home, others got stranded out on the road( or at the track) heres how it looked tattered, and the new one with a much better looking rubber seal. drive it easy if you must drive it and be ready.

Attachments

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
it could also be that the process of joining the rubber to the steel breaks loose, then the water gets in and the rust starts. but when mine came apart, there was alot of rust in there.

it starts with the tattered rubber, then the belt will squeal some, the pulley will start to move out of alignment, then it comes apart. it happens pretty fast so your taking a chance driving it. i got lucky cause i made it home, others got stranded out on the road( or at the track) heres how it looked tattered, and the new one with a much better looking rubber seal. drive it easy if you must drive it and be ready.

ford always had a better idea....

i wonder how well the UDP will work with the supercharger....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.