Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have a 2005 mustang manual V6, when in 1st or any other gear, it will only let me rev up to 4000 RPM, than the car will make a noise letting u know, yo you not going past 4000 RPM. I RED LINE BETWEEN 6-7K RPM. why is it doin this and what can i do to get full power out of my mustang?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its not an automatic, its a stick. i don't think it should only go up to 4k rpm. it wont even let me pill out, that limiter is taking away some of my power.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Rev limiters are not exclusive to automatics. However, the cap that you are mentioning is very troubling. I'm pretty sure the factory tuned rev limit is in the 6500 range (I can't recall the exact number and I'm not able to find data at the moment). If you are not able to take your engine above 4k, you probably have much bigger problems than the rev-limiter.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
there must be something wrong. when in neutral our cars have a rev limiter of 4K so when you just want to sit and rev it it will top out at 4K. but when in any gear, it should have a redline at 6500 like you said. it sounds to me for some reason your neutral rev limiter is acting even when in gear. i would take it to the dealer and have them look at it

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Can you be a little more specific about whats happening? It sounds like you have the clutch in and can only rev to 4k rpms, in which case you're just hitting a perfectly normal factory rev limiter. Can you exceed 4k rpms when you're actually in gear and accelerating?

From the factory the 05 v6 has an in-gear limiter set at 6k rpms but it's possible that someone has used a tuner to change it to 4k rpms instead of the normal 6k although this is highly unlikely.

And just for the record, your car red-lines at 5,750 rpms, not between 6,000 and 7,000.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
Can you be a little more specific about whats happening? It sounds like you have the clutch in and can only rev to 4k rpms, in which case you're just hitting a perfectly normal factory rev limiter. Can you exceed 4k rpms when you're actually in gear and accelerating?

From the factory the 05 v6 has an in-gear limiter set at 6k rpms but it's possible that someone has used a tuner to change it to 4k rpms instead of the normal 6k although this is highly unlikely.

And just for the record, your car red-lines at 5,750 rpms, not between 6,000 and 7,000.
i cant remember when mine was stock ( it didnt stay that way very long) if it went to redline on the tach. mine goes a little over redline now before shifting into 2nd with my auto with the street race tune. :D ps, welcome to the forums :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.