Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Tom Tom from my wife and kids for my birthday and plan on using in the stang. However, I don't like the things attached to the windshield (in any car).

Are there any Mustang enthusiasts that have come up with a clever way of using a Tom Tom or other gps without sticking that thing to the glass?

Thanks! :nogrinner

·
Registered
625 Posts
My garmin came with a double sided taped disk that can be stuck anywhere you want, If you get a piece of plastic or metal and some double sided tape you could put it anywhere you want. Go to Lowes or Home Depot, get a little piece of lexan, cut it to the exact size of that suction cup, get some double sided tape and then put it somewhere you want, or screw it into something, but the plastic will make a nice seal so the suction cup sticks.

·
Registered
786 Posts
^ same.

I have a garmin and it came with a plastic disk with double stick tape that I stuck to the top of the A pillar so that when I stick the gps mount up, it's in the top left corner of the windshield and harder to see for people that might be peeping in the windows.

Just don't ever stick it to your windshield, even if you take it down when you park it, thieves look for the little ring marks it leaves and know it's in the car, then they break in and jack it.

Luckily I took mine out of my car when I had it in the shop being fixed and was too lazy to ever put it back in because my phone has GPS navigation on it which has more up to date maps. :rollgrin:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have the smaller one (3.5") and I place into the 2 center air vents on the dash. It fits perfectly and with the holder that comes with it you can tilt it to face the driver.
DSCF0194.JPG

dly

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the smaller one (3.5") and I place into the 2 center air vents on the dash. It fits perfectly and with the holder that comes with it you can tilt it to face the driver.
View attachment 105143

dly

Did you affix the disc to the dash or did you make something for it to go on? My unit is the smaller one and would go between the vents but I don't want to have the sticky-thing on the dash itself.

I guess laying in the seat would work too. And, I have already had enough of the wife GPS telling me where to go, it has a lot of attitude :laughlitt

·
Registered
234 Posts
Have you looked into one of those bag mounts that just sit on the dash? I've heard they are pretty stable. I use a suction cup mount to the windshield myself. Never had any issues with it. Can't bring myself to use tape or anything permanent.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Google "GPS lighter mount"

I have one for my garmin, it mounts the lighter part right on the back of the GPS, and you just stab it in.

·
Registered
329 Posts
View attachment 105143

dly

We have the Garmin Nuvi and did the exact same thing, and even with the GPS not mounted the black mounting disc doesn't look out of place in the middle of the two circular air vents. The only thing I noticed is if I have the GPS mounted and it's sitting out in the sun, the weight can cause the disc to begin to seperate from the dash.

Since I only mount the GPS when I need it, it's not an issue for me.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Google "GPS lighter mount"

I have one for my garmin, it mounts the lighter part right on the back of the GPS, and you just stab it in.

Thanks, there is one on AMazon.com but i have a question. does it stay in place? I could invision the weight of the GPS causing it to spin around or something. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
502 Posts
I put my Garmin in the cupholders

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I have one of these for my navi in my wifes car. I like it because there is no tape and it sits perfect on the dash and wont move even if you slam on the gas!

Bracketron - UFM-200BL - TomTom

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks, there is one on AMazon.com but i have a question. does it stay in place? I could invision the weight of the GPS causing it to spin around or something. :bigthumbsup
Mine stays in unless I drive down a particularly bumpy (like unpaved) road, and even then the GPS warns me about being unplugged before it actually falls, so I give a little push and it's good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.