Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This allows the height of the seat to be adjustable, just like the power driver’s seat, except for the power lumbar control.

This is for the 2005 to 2008 Mustang. The car should have the needed wire harness (power from car, the one the power seat wire harness plugs into) under the seat if the car has air bags.

Order the needed 5 parts from Ford.

7R3Z6361710A Passenger Power Seat Track
5F9Z14A701AA Passenger Power Seat Switch
5F9Z-14711-AAA Passenger Power Seat Switch Button
7R3Z14A699DA Passenger Power Seat Wire Asy,
7R3Z6362186BC Passenger Power Seat Shield (color Black).

Cost about $535.00

Remove the passenger seat.

The front has 13mm bolts and the rear has 15mm nuts. To get to the rear nuts, remove the plastic covers (slide them to the rear, hard). Then unplug the wire harness under the seat. If you have side airbags, there will be two plugs. Yellow one is for the side airbags.

Open/Expand Power seat track.

You will need to open/expand the new power seat track. To do this, plug the new power seat wire harness into the plug on the floor. Plug the power wire harness into the power seat track, and plug in the power seat switch into the power seat wire harness. You may need to turn the ignition to on (not start the car). Use the switch to open/expand the power seat track. This is needed to install the wire harness then the track is attached to the seat. Once opened unplug everything and turn the car off.

Remove the manual track from the seat.

First you will need to unplug the manual wire harness from the seat. Remember how this wire harness is run. If you can take a picture, it will help you for the power wire harness. This will be the plug to the air bag sensor unit, the sensor (pad) the seat belt buckle. If you have side air bags, just move the wire/plug out of the way, there maybe one plastic push plug (into the medal seat bracket) that may need to be unplugged. Leave the wire going up the side of the back of the seat. DO NOT remove.

Second remove the seat shield (plastic cover on the right side of the seat. There is a Philips screw in the back. The seat back lever (the one that move the seat back forward to get into the rear of the car) needs to be removed This is held in place with a “C” pin/clip. This can be seen from the under side of the seat. Remove the “C” pin/clip and save it. Then remove the handle. Now remove the plastic cover. There are two medal clips that can stay in the slots of the seat frame. The new part has its own clips. There is also a medal clip on a 1/8 inch think wire frame that the plastic cover sits on. This too can stay on the frame as the part is being removed. Once the plastic cover has been removed, remove the three medal clips, two shiny (stainless) and one gray/black (on the wire frame). The new part has these clips and it looks like there are designed to be used once.

Third remove the seat belt buckle and bracket. This is done by removing the two 15mm nuts. Save this and do not remove the buckle from the bracket. The new power seat harness has the bracket attached and will need to be removed (same two 15mm nuts) and the one you removed from the seat installed.

Now the seat track is held on by four (4) 15mm bolts, one at each corner. These bolts are facing the bottom seat cushion. You will need to loosen the bottom seat cushion, but there is no need to completely remove it. It is held into place by snaps, Velcro (back) and clips. Carefully remove the snaps/plugs and clips on all four sides of the bottom cushion. The seat back cushion will “hold” the bottom seat cushion. Remember how the cushion was attached while remove, as this will make is easy to reinstall. Now carefully remove the air bag sensor. It is held on by two green plastic push plugs. These can stay in the holes in the sensor. Carefully remove the sensor’s wire/plug from the seat bracket. The wire is part of the sensor. Now the seat cushion can be move “up” away from the seat bracket to get to the nuts holding on the seat track. The front two can be removed with a 15mm ratchet from the top. The back two can be removed with a 15mm box wrench. That way you to not need to completely remove the bottom seat cushion. Save the nuts.

Install the Power track to the seat.

First remove the seat belt buckle bracket from the power track. Again – remove the two 15mm nuts.

Second install the power track to the seat bracket. Line up the four bolt threads to the holds the manual track was removed from. Make sure the front of the track is facing the front of the seat. Front of the track(s) has the 90 bend for the front blots that screw into the car floor. Install and tighten the four nuts. Again -- front with a 15mm ratchet and rear with a 15mm box wrench.

Third install the seat belt buckle and bracket that you removed from the manual track to the power track. Use the new 15mm nuts that came with the power track. Tighten the two nuts.

Fourth reinstall air bag sensor and bottom seat cushion. Place the air bag sensor back where it was removed from. Carefully thread the wire/plug through the bracket and reattach the plug to the bracket. Push in the two green push plugs into the seat bracket. Now reinstall the seat cushion in the reverse order that you loosened it.

Fifth install the power seat wire harness. This is why you expand the power seat track earlier. If not you will need to expand/open the seat track. Each plug is unique and can only be plugged into the correct socket. There will be two plugs that are not used, one green, and one gray. I believe these are for the heated seat option. I did not have a wire harness placement diagram from Ford as the where each push plug goes, but using common sense it can be figured out. The main plug, one that plugs into the wire harness in the car, goes on the shelf and the plug should face front. Do not at this time push the plastic push pins into the shelf. These (for the main plug and air bag plug) should be done after seat in reinstalled into car and wire plugged together, easier to plug them together. Run the wire harness between the seat bracket and seat track. The seat belt wire/plug runs along the side of the seat track, and the push plug goes into a hole on the side of the track. Run the plug for the switch over to the side where the new plastic shield will be installed. DO NOT plug it into the power seat switch yet. Wire harness plugs that should be plugged in at the end of this step: Seat Belt Buckle, Air Bag Sensor, Air Bag Sensor “processing” unit, Power Seat Track. Wire harness plugs that should not be plugged in are: Power Seat Switch, Main Power Plug, and the two that will not be used, one green, one gray. These last too, simply tuck up under the seat cushion. See your driver’s side seat for an example. Just look under the driver’s seat.

Sixth install new plastic power seat shield and power seat switch. Insert the switch into the plastic shield, can only go in one way. Now plug the wire harness into the switch. Place the shield onto the seat, just like the old one you removed. Make sure the clips go into their respective holes/slots. Now to reinstall the seat lever, place the “C” clip onto the level and then line it up and push hard into the lever sprocket (stainless steel cylinder). The “C” clip should pop into place securing the level into place. Now place the power seat button onto the power seat switch.

Seventh install new power seat into car. Place the seat back into the car, facing the correct way. Plug in the wire harness and side air bag wire, if you have it, into the wire harness in the car. Then place the plastic push plugs into the holes on the shelf under the seat track. Just like the manual plug(s) you removed earlier. Secure the seat to the car with the 13mm bolts in the front and 15mm nuts in the rear. Replace the plastic covers on the rear of the track.

Turn ignition on and test out seat.

·
Registered
785 Posts
For $535. and probably no trade in value, this modification should be for those whose passengers demand a power seat and cannot be talked out of it.

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
For $535. and probably no trade in value, this modification should be for those whose passengers demand a power seat and cannot be talked out of it.
And who might that be????:gringreen:gringreen:gringreen

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
amazing write up. But no way would i do all of that work, and pay all of that cash to get a power seat that "I" can't use since i am always the driver. If my passenger doesn't like it, they can sit in the back, or better yet walk :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I orderd the parts for my 06 GT, Haaness on the 06 is different anybody know where to fing the electrical schematic for 06 and 07 mustang. So I can do the coversion

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

Leoleo, nice writeup. This is definitely a mod I need to do since the Mustang is my wife's car, so guess who spends most of the time in the passenger seat when we take her car?

·
Registered
263 Posts
The only thing my wife complained about the Mustang was how low the passenger seat was. I bought her a pillow.:gringreen

My wife is 5'2" and can barely see over the dash from the passenger seat. The good thing is that she thinks she can't drive my car because of this. I'm not saying a word. :shiny:

·
Registered
478 Posts
My wife is 5'2" and can barely see over the dash from the passenger seat. The good thing is that she thinks she can't drive my car because of this. I'm not saying a word. :shiny:

My wife still doesn't know the drivers seat can be adjusted higher and she too has only driven my Mustang one time since I bought it almost 2 years ago.:nogrinner

·
Registered
635 Posts
Don't forget to de-power the airbags before doing this. See attached from Ford manual. Not a big deal, make sure you pull the correct fuse. :nono:

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
lol i might try this...most girls dont like the fact that they ride lower than i do lol and cant see over the dash lmao.........is there any wire splicing to do or is it just wire harnesses? if so i'll do it this summer.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
That's $535 that could have been better spent on performance mods.;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
power seat conversion

Has anyone tried to simply lift the passenger seat with some kind of spacers etc. to get better height for there passengers? Would be interested in doing that for the wife. She cant see over the 4" cowl hood at all and I make her nervous to begin with!!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Has anyone tried to simply lift the passenger seat with some kind of spacers etc. to get better height for there passengers? Would be interested in doing that for the wife. She cant see over the 4" cowl hood at all and I make her nervous to begin with!!
Me too. However, I took my seats out to Dynamat and it doesn't seem that it would be easy. The front bolts go in vertically (parallel to the floor) whereas the back bolt down. If they both bolted down you could do spacers and longer bolts. Since they're not, seems like you'd have to do some fabricating of the front mounts.

·
Banned
80 Posts
Just the other day someone asked me if there was a way to add a power passenger seat to their car (which wasn't a Mustang). I responded that not only didn't I think this was possible (it's never been an option in that car), but that I'd never read of anyone spending the time and money to perform such a mod.

I now stand corrected :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I too thought about doing the power conversion but the cost was too high and all I needed was for the seat to be a little higher. I located a 2' piece of steel boxed tubing that 1.5" x 1.5" in dia. My mechanic and I cut it into three pieces (long piece was approx. 14" long and other two were 4" pieces...don't quote me on the lengths). We drilled holes(get extra drill bits and go slow) and got some heavy duty longer bolts with washers. He used an impact wrench to tighten them down. The passenger seat sits about 1.5" higher now and it is perfect. My 5'2" wife can see over the dash much better and it didn't cost me a thing because me mechanic owed me a favoer. I got the idea from a writeup on Modularfords.com and the guy took photos of the entire intall. I can't remember if I did mine using the same sized boxed tubing or not but I recall he said he used 2" or 2.5" and he said he wished he had gone with 1.5". Sorry I didn't take photos of my install, it just happened so fast that I forgot. The finish product looks totally factory and you can not even tell by looking at the seat that it has been altered. It is a shame that Ford didn't just give us electric seats from the begining.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts