Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is this stuff - and what (if anything) can I / should I do about it?

Lately, when I open the fuel filler door, I have been noticing a gray-colored granular substance accumulating in the bottom of the opening - just below the filler spout. It appears to be a very fine sand. At first I thought it was fine metal filings - but it a magnet will not pick it up.

I have cleaned this stuff out - but it just keeps appearing. I did a quick search to see if there had been anything posted about this - but did not find anything. I would appreciate any insight or advice.

Thanks,

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have seen it too, dont know what it is........ but at leat it washes out...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sandy crap

Guys, don't worry about that. It just happens to be a place on the vehicle where sand and other fine debris accumulates. Have you ever taken a look at your rear bumper after driving for a few days without washing your car? Inside the filler door is just an easy spot for the debris to accumulate, espesially since it is in the rear of the vehicle.

No worries!

·
Registered
183 Posts
JONRCK is right. Normal road debris, which accumulates on the rear, also works its way into the cracks on the fuel door. It's normal.

I remember someone at a car cruise told me they know someone who actually took a sample of the "stuff" that accumulates on the rear bumper to a lab for testing. It came back as mostly as dirt, asphalt & tire particles normally found on road surfaces.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
You may also want to check for water and grit accumulating in the cubby hole behind the cover on the left side of the trunk. You'll have to reach way in to thoroughly check this area. The same may be also happening in the spare tire well.
I found water and grit in both locations this past Fall when I noticed condensation on the inside of the rear window one cool evening. The cause turned out to be a bad seal around the gas fill tube's interior mounting flange above the wheel well, which resulted in water and grit getting into the cubby hole from tire spray when driving on wet roads. And so much water and grit accumulated there that it eventually overflowed into the spare tire well(A path of wet trunk matting from the cubby hole to the edge of the spare tire well confirmed this).
I applied duct seal around the gas fill tube's interior flange(had a lot of fun reaching up there from inside the wheel well), sopped up the water with a sponge, cleaned out the grit, and both areas have since remained bone dry.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's NORMAL. I paid my dealer $175 to remove my tank and flush it because I thought some A-Hole put sand in my tank. It happens all the time. No fear, Bruddah!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts