Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to me the 2005 will make all of the previous Mustangs obsolete on the race track.

The '05 has:
1) an honest coilover front suspension
2) a panhard bar and 3-link rear suspension
3) 53/47 weight distribution
4) better roll center and torsional rigidity

With a few mods on the suspension and motor I don't think an older Mustang (Fox or older) will be able to keep up with it.

I realize the exterior design is subject to personal preference, but I happen to think it is a home run. I even like the 67 Shelby fog lights, the 65 Shelby R side window, and the 10-spook Shelby wheels complete with a spinner.

I think Ford is on a roll. They made the 500hp Ford GT. They improved on the F-150 (no doubt everyone's 2004 Truck of the Year), and they now have the 2005 Car of the Year.:thumbsup :thumbsup

·
Registered
495 Posts
i'll agree on everytrhing about other stangs keeping up. there are a lot of fast stangs out there...and it'd prolly need some power boosts to smoke them.
but if you're talking all stock, then yea, the 05's would smoke any of them by stats, but how about weight? is the 05's heavier or lighter than 99-04's?

·
Registered
717 Posts
I read the they are shooting for a 3500 weight limit. I was really wanting one when they come out by now I think I will wait till I test drive one before I decide. I was hoping they got the 300hp from the current 2-valve modular design but I read that the 05 will be a allum block and heads that will be the 3-valve design. Don’t get me wrong 300hp is good but at 3500lbs with a allum block?.
Reports are they have done some serious weight reduction from using this jaguar frame.

Here are some state as reported from MSN Auto
2003 Manual GT 3429lbs 260hp @ 5250 RPM 302lb-ft @ 4000 RPM

As for the 05 making previous Mustangs obsolete on the race track you fogot about the 87 mustang, I cant find the weight for the old LX sedan but here are the stats for the 88

1988 Manual GT (hatchback) 3193lbs 225hp @4200 RPM 300lb-ft 3200

Racers like Ed Hohenberg purched the LXs with radio delete and no air and were running 12.9 on slicks by just switching to 3.73s and losing the anti-roll bar.

If the 05 can do that then I will be a believer…………..:cooldude:

·
Registered
79 Posts
countymounty
that pic of the cop car with its lights on is bringing up some bad memmories lol :doh:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
race cars

countymounty said:
I read the they are shooting for a 3500 weight limit.
Reports are they have done some serious weight reduction from using this jaguar frame.

Here are some state as reported from MSN Auto
2003 Manual GT 3429lbs 260hp @ 5250 RPM 302lb-ft @ 4000 RPM

As for the 05 making previous Mustangs obsolete on the race track you fogot about the 87 mustang, I cant find the weight for the old LX sedan but here are the stats for the 88

1988 Manual GT (hatchback) 3193lbs 225hp @4200 RPM 300lb-ft 3200

Sorry, I was talking about road racing. The suspension upgrades may not effect drag racing. On an open track/road course the new Mustang will be more effective than an older one when comparing to stock or equally modified. All the new upgrades help handling.

I heard weight was 100 pounds lighter (GT) than the '03 GT. Your 87 will be 200 (or more) pounds lighter. I don't think official base curb weight has been released.

2005 manual GT [email protected] & [email protected] (3400lbs.??)

·
Registered
717 Posts
Re: race cars

1965mustang said:
Sorry, I was talking about road racing. The suspension upgrades may not effect drag racing. On an open track/road course the new Mustang will be more effective than an older one when comparing to stock or equally modified. All the new upgrades help handling.

I heard weight was 100 pounds lighter (GT) than the '03 GT. Your 87 will be 200 (or more) pounds lighter. I don't think official base curb weight has been released.

2005 manual GT [email protected] & [email protected] (3400lbs.??)
Oh on a road track I do believe you will be right, the new frame the are using (bases of the jaguar type s?) was originally quoted as being like 300lbs more ouch, but ford had been spending a lot of time to make that lighter and cheaper. On the article on the front of AFM it said something about the 05 being 300hp and $20,000 unless they are coming out with V-8 LX model I don’t know how they are going to do than, maybe they meant $20 something. Well I love the looks of the 05, as for the interior I will just have to see it when it come out as I cant make up my mind if I like it or not.

As for the curb weight the number I posted is what was posted in Hotrod? Cant remember which magazine I was looking at, but that was way lower then what was originally rumored.

·
Registered
717 Posts
schbven said:
countymounty
that pic of the cop car with its lights on is bringing up some bad memmories lol :doh:
don’t worry if I am stopping you in your mustang, it is probably just to have you pop the hood so I can “check” that everything is ok! :evillol:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Re: race cars

countymounty said:
the new frame the are using (bases of the jaguar type s?)
it said something about the 05 being 300hp and $20,000 unless they are coming out with V-8 LX model I don’t know how they are going to do than, maybe they meant $20 something. Well I love the looks of the 05, as for the interior I will just have to see it when it come out as I cant make up my mind if I like it or not.

As for the curb weight the number I posted is what was posted in Hotrod? .
I think the frame is a modified JagS/LincolnLS. It has 6" more wheelbase that will provide better road feel. I agree about the interior. The pics look good, but I need to crawl in one.

I heard $25K for the GT. I have heard rumors of a LX but don't think anything is final.

I got the curb weights from the Peter Sessler book "Mustangs 1964 1/2-2003" for the older ones and the new figures from blueovalnews.com.

P/S I was running my 95R and may have been pushing the speed limit. Three (3) State Troopers pulled me over in 2 cars. I thought I was going to jail. They just wanted to look at it! We spent over 30 minutes on the side of a 6 lane highway talking about Mustangs. One had 2 mustangs, one had one, and the other was looking to buy one. One also had a 87 GSP notch that he had driven before the Major retired the fleet. I kicked it when we left.:D

·
Registered
136 Posts
i am personally not impressed w/the outside.i like 99-04 body style better,but the engineering and interior is sweet.i like the suspension too.its about time they got away from those c/arms.but there's one thing that keeps popping in my mind,and that is built by the lowest bidder.what i mean by that is the torq arm they put in is prolly bolted in not welded for one thing.basically thats why we have the aftermarket.so all the cheap stuff put on this car will be switched out for better quality parts.they laid a great foundation for improving whats there just by getting the parts that are on it replaced by better made parts.exmp;panhard bar,torque arm,sway bars,springs,etc.i just hope that the rumor that any thing done air or exhaust wise will send the cpu into default mode are untrue,b/c all of you who will buy this are gonna be pretty pissed when you buy those headers,and c/b and find that it runs like sh*t.will see what happens.all iknow is i'm keeping mine,i love it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I believe Ford stated the platform is "all-new." If this is true then it can't be based on the previously slated "DEW98" platform.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The LS platform is now called D/EW-98. They call the new Mustang platform the S197. D2C is the production name of the new Mustang. As I look at the S197 it looks like a modified D/EW-98 to me (but I am not an engineer). Rumor has it that the Lincoln LS (et al) will go to the S197. Very confusing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.