Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
The sender connector is under the rear seat, driver's side and can be used to diagnose if the senders are working if you don't have the fancy scan tool. It's a simple variable resistor setup, but there is a computer in the circuit to control the gauge itself, which is a servo-type instrument.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sender connector is under the rear seat, driver's side and can be used to diagnose if the senders are working if you don't have the fancy scan tool. It's a simple variable resistor setup, but there is a computer in the circuit to control the gauge itself, which is a servo-type instrument.
How can I diagnose the sender connector?

·
Tech Advisor
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
5,373 Posts
I do recommend testing first to make sure that the gauge is getting the proper signal/voltage but if the fuel light went off after filling it I'll bet that it's just that the gauge stepper motor is not working. This indicates to me that the correct signal is being sent from the sending unit to the PCM and IC(instrument cluster). I think that I remember reading that the mid to late 2000s had low quality stepper motors that were eventually redesigned for the late 2000s onward. You can send your out your IC to have it fixed and have just that one or all the stepper motors replaced.

·
Tech Advisor
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
5,373 Posts
Most likely the gas gauge itself. They have plastic gears that tend to break. Take a search on youtube. several videos on how to change them out.
As I referred to earlier the 2005-08 gauge motors are known for this problem.
There are no gears that are replaceable. The original crappy stepper motors are replaced by revised ones. Each gauge has a stepper motor that's replaced as a unit for each individual gauge on the cluster circuit board: 2005 Ford Mustang How To Repair Instrument Cluster Gauges - YouTube
Automotive Circuit Solutions repairs gauges and can also convert your cluster to have blue, white, red, or orange LEDs if you like: 2005-2009 Ford Mustang Gauge Cluster Repair | Lifetime Warranty – Automotive Circuit Solutions
They also repair PCM, BCM, ABS, SRS(airbag) modules as well as instrument cluster, clock, radio, displays, and various other modules.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As I referred to earlier the 2005-08 gauge motors are known for this problem.
There are no gears that are replaceable. The original crappy stepper motors are replaced by revised ones. Each gauge has a stepper motor that's replaced as a unit for each individual gauge on the cluster circuit board: 2005 Ford Mustang How To Repair Instrument Cluster Gauges - YouTube
Automotive Circuit Solutions repairs gauges and can also convert your cluster to have blue, white, red, or orange LEDs if you like: 2005-2009 Ford Mustang Gauge Cluster Repair | Lifetime Warranty – Automotive Circuit Solutions
They also repair PCM, BCM, ABS, SRS(airbag) modules as well as instrument cluster, clock, radio, displays, and various other modules.
The car also has a prins LPG system, could that be another reason for the defect fuel gauge?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts