Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone tell me where this bar has to be placed? (i've enclosed a picture, is marked on red ) I recently bought the complete suspension kit as the one on the image for my V6 but I don't know where this bar is supposed to be placed.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Could anyone tell me where this bar has to be placed? (i've enclosed a picture, is marked on red ) I recently bought the complete suspension kit as the one on the image for my V6 but I don't know where this bar is supposed to be placed.

Thanks
that should be the rear anti-sway bar and should be positioned near the rear end. you should be able to see some type of attaching points but there will be no hardware. you will have to get it a t a dealership or good grade bolts/nuts at an auto supply store. keep in touch as i have the same bar coming in tomorrow by ups. [email protected]:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
if you use some good grade bolts, washers for the brackets that connect to the lower shock mounts and nylon lock nuts, you`ll be good. the brackets are up under your car for the link bars. there should be a tag on the rear bar that says left side( drivers side) heres some nasty lookin pics i took, i swore i`d never post these, but you`ll see where it goes

Attachments

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
i also used the bolt sizes that were posted on here a while back:

4- 10mmx30mm plus nylock nuts and washers( i used about 1" dia)
2- 12mmx65mm plus nylock nuts( and i used some washers on those too)

it would be a good time to change the shocks, thats what i did too, makes it easier to mount the swaybar with the shocks off. but either way :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RE: Mustang V6-Anti-Sway Bar Installation

Thanks a lot for the pics !! Sure will do a lot for me. After all what is the purpose of this bar?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
To improve handling by tying the rear suspension together, works wonders with lowered rear springs. Minimizes the solid rear axle "hop".

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
To improve handling by tying the rear suspension together, works wonders with lowered rear springs. Minimizes the solid rear axle "hop".
it made a night and day handling difference with the stock springs also. i added that kit your showed with the frt bar and gt shocks and struts. made the ride a little stiffer, but it handles awesome

·
Registered
44 Posts
Front sway bar noise

I installed the front and rear GT takeoff sway bars. The rear went in with no problem. The front went in ok too, but it seemed like the mountings to the front bracket squished the rubber bushing when I tightened down the 4 nuts. Now the front end makes a squeeking noise (rubber on metal). Are the 4 nuts supposed to tightened all the way down or until it contacts the rubber bushings.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I installed the front and rear GT takeoff sway bars. The rear went in with no problem. The front went in ok too, but it seemed like the mountings to the front bracket squished the rubber bushing when I tightened down the 4 nuts. Now the front end makes a squeeking noise (rubber on metal). Are the 4 nuts supposed to tightened all the way down or until it contacts the rubber bushings.
I'm going to be doing swaybars on mine this weekend, and if I remember from the instructions, you want to grease the bushings really well, or they'd squeak. It also said not to tighten down the brackets so much that it squashes or deforms the bushing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
That did it.

Greased up the bushings and tightened down until the bushing started to crush. Used some loctite on the bolts but am still concerned about not being able to cinch them down. I'll check them every few days to make sure they aren't coming loose. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wrong brackets

I think I was given the wrong brackets for the front sway bar. I couldn't tighten it down without crushing the bushing, there was a 1/2" gap. The brackets I got would cover the entire bushing, the original V6 brackets fit in the middle of the bushing and I was able to tighten them down without crushing the bushing. Does anyone have pictures of their front sway bar backets? Attached are pictures of the GT bracket (see the 1/2" from bracket to bottom of bushing), and the V6 bracket on the car (see how the bracket is now tight to the frame).

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think I was given the wrong brackets for the front sway bar. I couldn't tighten it down without crushing the bushing, there was a 1/2" gap. The brackets I got would cover the entire bushing, the original V6 brackets fit in the middle of the bushing and I was able to tighten them down without crushing the bushing. Does anyone have pictures of their front sway bar backets? Attached are pictures of the GT bracket (see the 1/2" from bracket to bottom of bushing), and the V6 bracket on the car (see how the bracket is now tight to the frame).

Yeah, I know this is a MASSIVE necropost... I'm very sorry.

However, your specific post brings up something I really haven't seen a solid answer to elsewhere.

Did you get everything cinched up on your front bar? How's it holding up, now?

I just got this kit and I'm going to have it installed (was going to do it myself but my brother just started working for a shop and said he can get it done for free). Before I drop off my car I just wanted to know if there were any particular things I should tell them about.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts