Ford Mustang Forum banner

2005 Mustang V6 auto tranny wont engage

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  mhimmelberg 
#1 ·
i have a 2005 v6 mustang with an odd shifting problem. If I depress and hold the button on the shift lever to move from park to 'D' my car goes into gear with out fail. If I deprss the button to move out of park but release the button and just slide the lever into 'D' the transmission will slip.
any ideas on what is causing this?

G
#2 ·
It might be your transmission range sensor, it tells the computer what gear you're in. Not 100% sure of the configuration on a 2005. Typically those are adjustable. When you shift with the button held down, you're likely moving just a little past where the shifter naturally stops when you're shifting without holding the button down, allowing it to properly tell the computer you're in (D)rive. You might require a new sensor, or you might be able to adjust it by loosening a couple of hold-down bolts and rotating it. There may also be some adjustment in the shifter cable, it's possible yours has too much slack. In that case, you wouldn't have "slipping" but rather your car would actually still be in neutral. I'd have to let someone with more experience with your year chime in.

#4 ·
oh ya, there is a adjustment for the cable, and if your gonna do it, you might want to pick up a chiltons to see the pics. basicaly you need to put the shifter in D, disconnect the shifter and put the lever on the trans into D. thats the same way you install a new shifter. the adjusting mechanism is built into the lock mechanism located on the cable end.

your cable needs adj if you can move the shifter, with your foot on the brake, 1 position at a time and try to crank it over. if it cranks anywhere other than P or N, or your backup lights dont come on in R, it needs adjustment.

if after adjusting it will still start in gear, the trans range sensor can be out of adjustment or bad.

theres been some problems with the factory shifters. might need to really check it out below the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.