Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, If I put a four point roll bar into my convertible, would it be enough body strengthening, or should I still throw in front and rear sway bars?

·
Registered
637 Posts
It depends on what you're trying to accomplish :scratchchin ??

·
Registered
922 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Alright, If I put a four point roll bar into my convertible, would it be enough body strengthening, or should I still throw in front and rear sway bars?
The roll-over bar will not add much, percentage-wise to the strength of the convertible. It's pretty sturdy in most aspects, as it is. A six-point or roll cage can make a significant difference. Either of those will be more likely to keep your head off the ground in a roll-over accident than the windshield frame.

Sway bars will not influence the strength of the body, but they will work closer to their capabilities in a strengthened body. In practical terms, standard sway bars in standard mounts have enough deflection built-in to their fixtures that even a stronger body may not show any evidence in absolute handling/response terms.

Much of what the sales liars say about their products may be true under certain circumstances; however, unless the circumstances include solid or near-solid bushings, theoretically perfect friction factors, or micro-managed tolerances and measuring devices, the advantages and applications of a given piece of hardware are likely to be gross, or only theoretical and/or cosmetic.

Lowering springs do improve cornering feedback and appearance (depending on taste): you can see and feel it. That's a gross application. If you feel an improvement after installing a four-point roll-over bar, it's probably your imagination, a placebo effect, or Cognitive Dissonance at work. If every add-on that actually made no significant difference in scientifically measurable terms and useful application payoff-for-investment disappeared, there would be a lot of empty warehouses around the world.

Body-stiffening is not enough reason to install a four-point roll-over bar; peace of mind and a measure of added safety are plenty of reason. Go ahead. Look up Autopower Industries - Application List.
They have good products and a good reputation. I've had Autopower roll-over bars in all four of my race cars, no complaints. Haven't road tested them, either, thank goodness.

Cheers!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, thanks for the replies. The four point roll bar is for my wife to have assurance for a roll over. That is the main point of it; roll over protection for the family. I was wondering about stiffening because I may as well order the sway bars with the roll bar if the roll bar will not make a difference. I know that the strengthened metal will be attaching to the car so I thought maybe there would be less flex on everyday driving applications. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.