Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife called with the car overheating... Checked level ... It was low by 2.5 gallons...
Found a leak right side of engine at the front... Looks like a gasket leak...

I'm a carpenter... If it ain't sawdust, I don't want to touch it...Help

·
Registered
11,864 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
If it is the thermostat and you decide to take on the job yourself be careful not to mix antifreeze types, as that can cause jelling of the coolant. Original Ford spec was Motorcraft Gold type.

·
Registered
531 Posts
a couple years ago my t stat housing cracked. once i got home and parked my car white smoke started flowing from my car. i had a warranty so it on cost me $100.

i think this might be common with our cars

·
Registered
30 Posts
take it to a ford dealership and sacrifice the 92.00$ diagnostic fee...I had a similar problem and it ended up being a damaged radiator and had to be replaced for more money then i expected...I had two puddles of coolant everytime the car was off. I had no idea where to start. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
a couple years ago my t stat housing cracked. once i got home and parked my car white smoke started flowing from my car. i had a warranty so it on cost me $100.

i think this might be common with our cars
It is a very common problem on our cars. I had mine go too. I think I spent a little over $100 doing it myself

·
Registered
8 Posts
Please do this yourself, happened to me about two days ago, I pulled over before any smoke started coming out but the thermostat did crack and it was leaking, I took it to the my local dealership and they wanted $450 for the parts and labor. Way too much, when you could get the parts cheaper from autozone or online and not have to pay for labor. So in my opinion do it yourself or get an estimate from other local auto shops.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts