Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP! My 2005 V6 Mustang has some crazy electrical issues going on. When I go over a bump or the vehicle is jarred in any way, the fuel gauge drops down to empty, all the dummy lights on the dash come on (including the check engine light), the blinker lights won't work on the dash (but they do work outside the car), the radio volume decreases and the air conditioner stops working (though the fan will still work). My speedometer, tachometer and temp gauge are still functional. After 3 weeks of it happening, I brought it to my mechanic. He was unable to recreate the problem but my radio had stopped working completely. I replaced a blown fuse for the radio which then only worked for about 10 minutes before it blew again. The problems did not occur again for 4 weeks but have recently started AGAIN! Has anyone had a similar issue? I have seen many threads with instrument cluster issues but none that seem as complex as this one.

·
Registered
329 Posts
It sounds like an electrical short somewhere. Unfortunately those a tough to find without pulling the dashboard apart.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 06 did that back about 3 years ago. I took it to the dealer and they had to replace the whole cluster. Has not done it since. Luckily at that time i was still under warranty and I didn't have to pay for it.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
welcome to the forums. the cluster and many of the things you mentioned are controlled by the smart junction box located behind the pass kick panel. maybe you have a bad connection, or worse, maybe it has got wet at some point. might want to really check that out good.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
There’s a lot of possibilities, though it sounds like a communications problem in the Controller Area Network related to the instrument cluster. Could be as simple as a loose connector on the back of the cluster. Could be a defect in the PC board too. Until it happens regularly it’ll be tough to track down, though it’s easy enough to remove the cluster and check the connector. The radio changing volume adds to that impression, as it gets speed data over the network from the cluster. The actual hard failure of the radio (blowing fuses) just sounds like a coincidence.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts