Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok first off i want to say im a airplane mechanic guy and didnt go to uti or anything for cars, just picked up stuff on my own.

i plan on a dual exhaust with a x pipe and some guy told me im stupid because x-pipes on v6 engines are pointless because 2 cylinders fire at the same time.

if im not mistaking it takes 2 crankshaft rotations to complete the auto cycle or 720 degrees divide that by 6 and every 120 degrees a pistion is starting its power stroke. what is this same time crap cause im not seeing it. and how does that make a x-pipe make it stupid you still have to balance the gases from each side. this was coming from a inline jeep guy moron.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well if you look at the manual, there is a definite firing order. I forget the numbers at this time. I have never seen an engine with two pistons firing at the same time. It even sounds like a bad idea, talk about a vibration issue. Just tell the guy he's an idiot. There are a few guys around here with a dual exhaust setup and there seems to be a preference of one over the other (x or h). I've always heard a single exhaust yields more power on thes engines, so that's what I stuck with.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Haha Jeep guy... Yeah...

There is a firing order, like he said, look in your manual, its in there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha yeah this guy was dumb. it would make since if 1 side fired 135 and then the opposite fired 246 that an x or h is dumb but what kind of engineer would do that. unstable! im pretty sure mine fires 165432 so alternating from side to side. i just thought id tell this story to point out 47yr old idots that think inline jeeps are race cars. haha

as far as what gives more power i dont know but i would assume a dual would with more flow as long as mufflers are used for some back pressure.

·
Registered
125 Posts
So what dual setup do you want to use? I've heard a few with American Thunders on the back and they sound quite nice. Droning seems to be a problem with the Magnaflow catback dual setup.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So what dual setup do you want to use? I've heard a few with American Thunders on the back and they sound quite nice. Droning seems to be a problem with the Magnaflow catback dual setup.
well i have a jba single right now with jba headers so jba dual would be nice but its pricey, the most expensive ive seen so maybe the Pypes with the x-pipe, its only like 400 or maybe less

·
Registered
572 Posts
well i have a jba single right now with jba headers so jba dual would be nice but its pricey, the most expensive ive seen so maybe the Pypes with the x-pipe, its only like 400 or maybe less
I've got the Pypes setup, yes there is drone, but what the heck... it sounds awesome for a little V6!

Maxxine Making Noise in the Driveway 27 - Putfile.com

SOHCman NiceRideInTheCountry - Putfile.com

SOHCman Pypes Acceleration - Putfile.com

97dB at cold idle and 100+dB on the highway...

:bigthumbsup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.