Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a question that goes out to all the owners who have lowered their cars. With the Eibach Pro-Kit, is that something I can do here at my house? I have many tools and am capable of doing what instructions say. The one tihng my shop is missing as far as this install goes is Spring compressors. Should I try to find some to borrow or should I just get a local shop to do it. I know a very good suspension shop around here with reasonable prices, but I take pride in being able to say I've installed everything on my car by myself.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Borrow a spring compressor from Autozone or Advance Auto Parts. Other than that, it's not a bad job.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it is something that can be done in my driveway? I feel confident that I can do about anything as long as I have a little instruction and some tools. Maybe I can cut labor costs down to just an alignment.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
So it is something that can be done in my driveway? I feel confident that I can do about anything as long as I have a little instruction and some tools. Maybe I can cut labor costs down to just an alignment.
You bet... It can be done on jackstands.

·
Registered
128 Posts
did you buy shocks and struts too? i thought u need these if you lower your car more than an inch.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you get the Eibach Pro Kit like ckrebel is doing, is there any other parts you NEED or SHOULD buy?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eibach says the pro-kit is designed to work with aftermarket struts as well as the stock ones. You shouldn't have to buy extra parts from my understanding.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What are the tricky parts of the install? Seems like everything I've done so far has always had a step that's missing or harder than it sounds. Are the instructions pretty thorough?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just did this install yesterday. 2 guys in about two hours w/o air tools. fairly simple just make sure you get those spring compressors. the rear takes about 20 minutes w/ the only work being removal of the tire and lower shock bolt. do one at a time and you should be able to remove the stock spring by pressing down on the axle once the shock is disconnected.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Camber bolts

I needed camber bolts to allow it to be properly aligned afterwards. Only needed one side though oddly enough. There must have been enough wiggle on one side.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I've done several in the driveway without the use of a spring compressor. Just place a jack under the lower a arm and apply pressure to the lower arm, loosen and remove the top strut nut and then lower the jack to extend the strut. You will have loosened both lower strut bolts and removed the nut plates. Once the a arm is as low as you can get it hold the spindle and remove the lower top strut bolt. Spindle swings to the outside and all pressure is off the spring. Then you can remove the lower bottom strut bolt and remove the strut and spring assy. Simple hand tools all that's needed.

Also you will need adjustable panhard bar for the rear to re-center everything.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
I've done several in the driveway without the use of a spring compressor. Just place a jack under the lower a arm and apply pressure to the lower arm, loosen and remove the top strut nut and then lower the jack to extend the strut. You will have loosened both lower strut bolts and removed the nut plates. Once the a arm is as low as you can get it hold the spindle and remove the lower top strut bolt. Spindle swings to the outside and all pressure is off the spring. Then you can remove the lower bottom strut bolt and remove the strut and spring assy. Simple hand tools all that's needed.
Gutsy move... I would never touch a spring without a compressor. A loaded spring can kill.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Gutsy move... I would never touch a spring without a compressor. A loaded spring can kill.
Several of my buddies have followed my instructions and successfully changed out their front springs this way. I have a buddy in TX that did the change out in about an hour (which is about the time my son and I have done it). I did one with another buddy last weekend on his 06 and he was surprised how easy it is to do it this way. Now I understand how dangerous an uncontained spring is but by removing the upper bottom bolt on the strut after the a arm is at it's lowest point and the top strut nut is removed the spring cannot go anywhere.

·
Registered
463 Posts
waht happens to the 4 bolts and spring retainer at the top?
Leave them in. Just remove the spring and strut leaving the upper mount in place.

·
Registered
431 Posts

wow your right i to will never touch them with out a spring compressor seen thos go thu a roof

·
Registered
264 Posts
Has anyone had problems with their exhaust dragging after lowering the car? I have a dual magnaflow set-up (2007 V6) and they seem very low. I would like to lower my car as well but this is a major concern to me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.