Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know this is probably the dumbest question to ask but I really want to know because people always tell me my rear is lifted a little higher than other mustangs but I can't see what they are talking about....Also is our rev limit only 4000 stock or is it set through a tune because my mustang hits 5 and probably a little higher with and without TCS on. Also are the mustangs lifted a little in the back stock or are people just trippin' out thinking my rear is higher than normal?? If this stuff isn't stock what could be already done on my car and what should I look to see if it was changed I should of probably asked this stuff when I first got it but I never did..

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Hey Doug; First off, the only dumb question is the one that was not asked. The rev limiter in the 2005 V6's, were actually set at 3000 RPM's. If your car is going above that without breaking up, then your rev limiter was shut off either with a chip, or hand-held tuner. I would get in touch, with the person you purchased the car from. Then ask him or her, what has actually been done to the car. It was probably done, with a hand-held tuner. Reason I say that is, if it were a chip it would have failed vehicle inspection. Reason for failure, when they plug into your ALDL port under the dash it would have kicked back a different code for the computer, Mike. SCT Tuner.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so I might have a tune already?!? Ok well that would bring up tons of questions then..... I got the car from a small dealership and they got it from some one trading it in so I don't know how I could get in touch with the guy who might have tuned it... also would my BBK CAI and using the wrong gas effect my car in anyway because I know for sure it gets over 3000rpms meaning its tuned? when I drive the car shifts very fast through 1 and 2 is that stock or probably a tune doing that?

Where can I take the car to see what kind of tune I have if I can't get in touch with the first owner??

·
Registered
312 Posts
did that rev limit change after '05?
My '08 easily hits 4000 and slightly higher.NO TUNE.

I also shift very fast between 1 and 2.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did that rev limit change after '05?
My '08 easily hits 4000 and slightly higher.NO TUNE.

I also shift very fast between 1 and 2.
mine isn't doin that mine is going over 5000 please keep it on topic so my question can get answered please... I am serious on this question because I don't want to ruin my engine because I am using stuff I shouldn't or have a tune that I don't know about. Burnrubber 05horse stlwagon where you guys at I know you know this kind of s**t lol

·
Registered
786 Posts
mine isn't doin that mine is going over 5000 please keep it on topic so my question can get answered please... I am serious on this question because I don't want to ruin my engine because I am using stuff I shouldn't or have a tune that I don't know about. Burnrubber 05horse stlwagon where you guys at I know you know this kind of s**t lol
Poseidon, take a deep breath..... and exhale slooooooowwwwly. Its all gonna be OK. Even if you do in fact have a tune loaded and the rev limit is higher than stock, no big deal. As long as you aren't flooring it and running it into the redline every day on your commute, then you have nothing to worry about. Your engine isn't going to blow up the first time it goes up to 5001 rpm's. My tune allows mine to get as high as 6 (that kinda worries me though and I don't like to see it go that high) but with that said, As far as the rear end stance of your vehicle, it looks pretty stock to me. The people who are bustin on you about it are probably used to seeing cars that have been lowered. Most of us don't notice the stock mustang in the lane next to us on the freeway, but if it has mods, (and springs are usually one of the first most people do) we notice them. So the people saying you car looks high in back, are just used to seeing lowered mustangs thats all.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Poseidon, take a deep breath..... and exhale slooooooowwwwly. Its all gonna be OK. Even if you do in fact have a tune loaded and the rev limit is higher than stock, no big deal. As long as you aren't flooring it and running it into the redline every day on your commute, then you have nothing to worry about. Your engine isn't going to blow up the first time it goes up to 5001 rpm's. My tune allows mine to get as high as 6 (that kinda worries me though and I don't like to see it go that high) but with that said, As far as the rear end stance of your vehicle, it looks pretty stock to me. The people who are bustin on you about it are probably used to seeing cars that have been lowered. Most of us don't notice the stock mustang in the lane next to us on the freeway, but if it has mods, (and springs are usually one of the first most people do) we notice them. So the people saying you car looks high in back, are just used to seeing lowered mustangs thats all.
LMAO ok I just get worried about this stang man it took a long time for me to get 1 I don't want to ruin it. So now that I know I destroy the car how can I find out what tune I have if I can't get in contact with the guy who did it?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am not sure that you can. I would recommends getting a tuner yourself and have a custom tune worked up. This will ensure that you put the right stuff in the car.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok so no getting my GT rear bumper today huh...... I should save the 150 and get a tuner pretty soon or is it going to be ok if I wait a month or 2 and still use 87 at the gas station

·
Registered
312 Posts

You can always have a Ford dealer re-flash it and start from there.
Of course you may like it the way it is.

trying to stay "on topic".

·
Registered
36 Posts
my 05 doesnt shift until about 4000. and as far as i know i dont have a tune or anything

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Is the car an auto? If so, there are two rev limiters, neutral and drive. Which one are you talking about?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is the car an auto? If so, there are two rev limiters, neutral and drive. Which one are you talking about?
my car is a auto and when its in drive it shifts at about 4000. SLT is that normal or does it only shift that high with a tuner

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
ok ok ok...im here. ill try to help. like stl said, theres 2 dif rev limiters. neutral and drive. neutral should not go past 4000 on stock tune. itll also make a diff whether youre auto or manual. not sure on the manuals though. i do know tho if its auto, like i said before...in neutral it should not go past 4000 without a tune. id get in touch with the dealer. also...if you have a bbk you surely have a tuner right? if not youre probably running lean....not the best for your cars engine.

·
Registered
225 Posts
if the cars tuned its most likely not for 87 octane. Most tunes people use 91 or 93 depending on whats available.

Running 87 will probobly cause some problems.

You should go to the dealer where you bought the car, tell them the rev limiter is higher than it should be stock and ask them to reflash it and also give you the new pcm code.

With that new code you should buy an sct xcal 3 from bamachips/tillmans or another custom tuner.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My 05 v6 auto reved to about 3200 rpms in neutral and in drive it was at the red line mark before the tune. After my tune I get another 200 rpms or so in drive.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok ok ok...im here. ill try to help. like stl said, theres 2 dif rev limiters. neutral and drive. neutral should not go past 4000 on stock tune. itll also make a diff whether youre auto or manual. not sure on the manuals though. i do know tho if its auto, like i said before...in neutral it should not go past 4000 without a tune. id get in touch with the dealer. also...if you have a bbk you surely have a tuner right? if not youre probably running lean....not the best for your cars engine.
No I dont have a tune because I seen the BBK CAI doesn't need a tune and I wanted to have it to help the car a little until I saved up enough for a better CAI and tuner. I think in neutral the car goes past but I know for sure it goes to at least 5500 before it shifts and thats what I really would like to know if it is stock and I will check out what it gets to in neutral after I get off work tonight

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
You won't need, a new pcm code for one thing. The rev limit, is suppose to be set at 3000 RPM according to FORD. You can check your computer, and see if someone used a chip to reprogram the computer. If it had a chip put in, like SCT uses the switch chip and you don't have the cable with the switch attatched that is plugged into the chip in order for it to work between tunes. Then you will need, to have your computer reflashed. But you don't need another PCM code. What happens when your car is chipped, instead of flashed with a hand-held tuner is when you have your vehicle inspected it may fail. Reason being is when the inspection station, plugs into your ALDL port under the dash it will kick back another PCM code. That's why most will tell you, to remove your chip and drive the car between 100 -- 200 miles before having your vehicle inspected. Reason for driving that far, is for your vehicles' computer to learn it's stock tune all over again. So when your ready, to purchase a tuner, get yourself a handheld tuner like an SCT X3 not an XF3. The XF3 is like, the older version of the SF2 Strategy Flash which is nothing but a canned tune file for your model car, Mike. SCT Tuner.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
you could solve the problem and just buy a new tuner...even a tuner cai package from and of the big 3..bama, tillman, or brenspeed. that way your new tune will completely map out a new program for your car, and eliminate any worry you have. shifting at wot...5500 might be ok. as long as it shifts at or within 500rpm of redline u should be fine. the nutral rev limit should still not go over 4000 whether u have a tune or not. most stock cars are set at 3000-3200. some dealers actually do a little tuning theirselves, so that cold be why yours is higher

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.