Ford Mustang Forum banner

2005 Mustang V6 slave cylinder problems!

11302 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  bigd70ss
Hi my name is Eric,

I have a 2005 Ford Mustang V6 with approximatly 75000 miles. 2 months after I purchased my car, the clutch pilot bearing was broke so I decided to change the hole clutch. First I bought a new clutch kit (slave cylinder, pressure plate, pilote...), however, this clutch kit was not an OEM Ford, however they both had the same model number and were perfectly identical. I installed the complet kit and my mustang ran perfectly for 3 months. I want to specify that I use another car to go to work and that I only use the mustang on weekends. After the 3 months, I was in a parking and my clutch pedal went lose. I realized that the clutch master cylinder was broken...
So I changed the clutch master with an OEM Ford master, however it still didn't work, because the slave cylinder was now broken to. I bought another slave cylinder and this time OEM Ford, which was the exact same thing... I installed it using Mitchell1 shop manuals instructions (It's really just 2 screws, once you get the transmission out) and it ran well for another 3 months...

So basicaly, the slave cylinder in now down again, (I dismanteled the part and once again the seal was torn apart, and also is it normal that the seal had inflated?) As soon as the slave cylinder is down, you also have to change the clutch master cylinder because it breaks to!!! The oil I use is the one I bought at the dealer (dot3)

The reason I am posting this thread is because I would like to know if any body can help me out, because at my dealer they tryed but they don't know why it is breaking. I do not race with this car, infact I rarely push it and the slave cylinder always seams to break in easy conditions like when I'm on the high way doing 70mph. The slave and master I installed will logicaly break in 3 months..

Does any body know if their is a sturdyer slave cylinder I could buy?
Also I tryed looking for technical service reviews on the slave, however I didn't find any nor any body who has the same problem as I do...
Honestly I am scared to go any where with this beauty because I never know If I am going to be able to get back home.

Thanks in advance,
Eric
See less See more
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
I believe both SPEC and RAM make aftermarket slave cylinders.
When I changed the clutch on my Shelby the slave cylinder went out. I understand that it's a pretty common problem on the cars actually. The shop told me every time they change a clutch on an S197 it's a 50/50 proposition the slave cylinder will have to be replaced.
They generally last about 80K miles maximum anyway.
They generally last about 80K miles maximum anyway.
The problem with mine is that it only lasts 2k miles
The problem with mine is that it only lasts 2k miles
something is going wrong. i had a ford f250 stick for over 300,000 miles. went through about 4or5 plastic crap slaves, first one lasted 80k, then about 50k each after that. around 150k( on my 3rd one) i changed the disk which still looked like new. then 2nd and reverse went out once that cost a bundle cause it was made by mazda. couldnt find a used one anywhere. after driving sticks my whole life that was enough for me to not want a stick again. pulling the trans every year grew old. have fun :)
See less See more
2005 mustang v8

My husband bought a 2005 mustang dec 2004. within one month the slave cylinder had to be replaced. ford replaced it but at 60K it started acting up again. the warrenty did not cover it. He replaced it and the clutch with an after market. he was able to drive it for 2 days before it leaked fluid all over the garage floor. he had no resistance in his clutch at all. they re-took apart everything and found that the gasket had busted. they replaced that and put it all back together. it has been 300 miles later and once again issues. just throwing this out there, could having an after market super charger or headers affect it? He doesn't race it or drive it hard why could it be doing what it is? Any help would be greatly appreciated. please email me [email protected]
See less See more
I have a 2005 mustang v6 manual. I had a bunch of shifting problems back 2 years ago. The dealers wanted to replace the clutch at >$1,000. A local shop recommended replacing the brake and transmission fluid. So I did that and the troubles were reduced. I also purchased a pump to put on the master cylinder. I did that once a month and that helped. Recently the problems have become worse again. Last night I replaced the fluids again and the problem didn't get any better. I'm using Mobil 1 ATF per the tremec manual and DOT4 brake fluid.

The frustrating part is that I can't find a place that will say if you spend X dollars replacing part Y the car will be good. Most places want to replace the clutch. Although most places also admit that the clutch is probably fine.

There are a lot of people having these issues. This sure seems like a design flaw to me.
See less See more
Hi there, my girlfriend has an 09 GT with 18K on it and the cylinder blew out when she went from 1-2 shift while racing a Camaro, unfortunately she lost due to the fact that she couldn't shift into 2nd. I see this is a common problem, looking tonight to see if the extended warranty she bought will cover it, if not, well then it's time for some upgrades.
See less See more
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.