Ford Mustang Forum banner

2005 Mustang v6 stall (EVAP solenoid problem?)

13K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  ramartin3 
#1 ·
My thanks in advance for everyone's help - I've been reading the boards for a good six months - it's good to actually be actively participating for once. There's a lot of amazingly helpful people on these boards :).

Just got back from a quick little 500 mile road trip. Mustang was running great until I got back home.

The car completely stalled on me in the middle of the street. Initially, I thought it was just me running out of gas (I was a little low) and so I pulled into a gas station to fill up. The car continued to stall on me...

I noticed a few 'off' things near the end of the drive home

-Cruise Control switched off when the headlights were turned on
-Cruise Control occasionally turned off for no apparent reason

After getting the car home, I discovered that while running the car in idol, the car would die as soon as I switched the headlights on. I managed to keep the car alive when doing this once - it ran EXTREMELY rough and the car's RPM's dipped between 500-750 for about fifteen seconds before the car died.

My check engine light popped on along with my battery light.

My first instinct was that maybe the problem could potentially be the alternator, or possibly a bad cell in my battery.

Took the car to Autozone to get codes check - came up with the following:

P0191 - Fuel rail pressure sensor condition
P0403 - EGR system fault (Exhaust Gas Recirculation)
P0446 - EVAP purge/vent solenoid circuit condition
P0443 - EVAP purge/vent solenoid circuit condition

I spend a few good hours looking up specifics on all of the codes to get an idea of exactly what was going on. Noticed Vapor Lock was a possible problem for one of the codes (I think it was p0191) which might have occurred since I was low on gas. If so, how would I get rid of that problem?

Also noticed that the stalling issues and the car running rough were common symptoms of all four codes.

Also realized that I might possibly need to replace/clean/check the connection of the EVAP canister vent solenoid. My only problem is, I have absolutely no clue where I would find this. Any insight would be helpful :)

I know its overall a very loaded question, but if anyone knows anything please let me know.

Thank you very very much - I'm really hoping to repair everything myself and get back on the road ASAP.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like a battery or alternator problem and the low/incorrect voltage is triggering false codes. Did you have the battery and alternator tested?

#6 ·
HI,

Just read the string and gee I have the same issue with my 2005 V6. Not been out to check the coeds but looks like the battery and alt are ok per the voltage checks with load and without load. the car has 120,000 miles ... so will check for coeds and then find the solenoid valve run a check on it as well. any additional advise.
Ray:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.