Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed that none of the current 05+ models have the word "MUSTANG" anywhere on the exterior of the car. As far as I know, this is a first for Mustangs. All other years going all the way back to the beginning had the word "MUSTANG" somewhere on the car's exterior, other than special editions like Shelbys, Cobras, or Saleens.

Call me slow... this may have been commonly known or talked about before, but I've only had my 07 a couple of months now.... just an observation.

·
Registered
304 Posts
i like it this way, adds a little mysterious something, don't ya think?

E

·
0 Posts
I reckon a search of the boards will turn up a few threads from 2005 (or earlier) commenting on the lack of mustang and "ford" badging. I think these cars are iconic enough that it's just simply not necessary. =)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think this was determined at one time in a post about --(I think) -- Things I did not know about my Mustang -- or Salesman didn't tell you..
There were numerous things like this.

Ponies on Hood insulation pad
Able to turn on GT Driving Lights without turning on Headlights
ETC........

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, and just to make it clear, I know that those that have the rocker panel stripe will have the word "Mustang" on the exterior, but a stock model will not.

·
Registered
239 Posts
it says FORD on the fake gas cap.
In 65 there was an export mustang that was simply called FORD T5 no Mustang badging anywhere...

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I saw that. It's really tacty to have the word "MUSTANG" labeled on your car. Everyone knows what it is.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I saw that. It's really tacty to have the word "MUSTANG" labeled on your car. Everyone knows what it is.

The only place the word mustang shows is on the "gas cap" on the trunk :p
Mine says FORD on the fake gascap on both of my 06's

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[......]The only place the word mustang shows is on the "gas cap" on the trunk :p
I don't think so... not on the S197's anyway.... It's the word "Ford" with the pony tri-bar emblem on the V6, and "Ford" with "GT" on the GT's.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I don't think so... not on the S197's anyway.... It's the word "Ford" with the pony tri-bar emblem on the V6, and "Ford" with "GT" on the GT's.
Yeah, I edited that out because I had just remembered. It's the only place FORD is located on the car too.:punchballs:

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
As it was so eloquently stated in Blazing Saddles... Badges? We don't need no stinking badges :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
I never liked the word mustang on any of the previous models. I am happy that they took it off. The car just looks more bad ass with the simple gt and the small ford gas cap on the rear.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Us with the "bullets" have ford on every wheel, so that's 5 counting the fake gas cap.:D

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I always thought that the "MUSTANG" molded into the back bumper was the tackiest thing ever. I hated it.

You take one look at it and everyone knows exactly what it is without putting badges on it. No other car can say that. Even Corvettes don't look much like Corvettes anymore, to me anyway. But an S197 looks only like the Mustang that it is.

They made a LOT of good choices designing the S197, not putting on Mustang badging was brilliant.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Mine is black with white rocker panel stripes that read MUSTANG. When I bought it the salesman pointed out the lack of "Mustang" advertising on the outside of the car saying "You take one look at this car and you know what it is."

I agree with him.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
The S197 Mustang was purposefully designed without any exterior MUSTANG badging. In fact, it only says MUSTANG on the rocker panel stripe s(if you have them, usually a V6) and the insided door sills...everywhere else just has the running pony, running pony with tr-bar GT and Ford, ands even then, those are minimal. According to Ford, the Mustang was to make a statement that those who knwo, already know it is a Mustang, and a bit of intrigue for those who do not know it is a Mustang. Even the Ford emblem is kept to a minimum (the hubs of the bullit wheels, the fake gas cap) on the car. It has one running pony on the grill, either the GT or the running pony with tri-bar on the front fenders and fake gas cap and only the running pony with tri-bar on the steering wheel.

Ironically, I have only had one person ask me what kind of car it is once they saw it....and that was my mother who does not know one car from another.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts