Ford Mustang Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Can't forget it says Ford on each brake caliper, the tribar on the horn cover, the pony on the grill of the GT, and the two ponies on the hood liner..... geesh, now that I think about it, it's plastered all over the car :D

Personally I have never cared for the Mustang lettering "mod" on the trunk lid. But I seem to really hurt people's feelings when I tell them that.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I agree, these cars are iconic enough no badging is necessary. Do you think the same could be said for the GTO?

On a historical note;
The Mustang was sold under the name T-5 in Germany in the 1960's. The word Mustang couldn't appear anywhere on the car because the name was trademarked by a company in Germany that built trucks. Ironic, isn't it?

·
Registered
752 Posts
A legend doesn't need to introduce itself. I'm glad that for the most part Ford left the Mustang and Ford badges off the car. People know what the car is without even seeing it just once. There's only a few cars that get that acknowledgement and Mustang is one of them.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I love it. That's how you know they got the design right. I rolled by the front of the discount store this weekend and some little 6 or 7 year old girlscout yells "hey mister, I like your Mustang!"

THAT'S how you know it's an icon

·
Registered
364 Posts
At the risk of having fruit and bricks thrown at me, I'm going to be the dark horse here. It's hard for me to believe or say that most people would know what the car was if the iconic running horse or coiled cobra was completely removed from all apects of the vehicle. I agree that with this design, if you lived in, or have any knowledge of the 1960's, you immediately think Mustang. I do believe that this is what they set out to accomplish by the removal of the nameplate because the car is, well, unmistakeable. I see it as a successful ploy in essentially "branding" the design into everyone's heart.

Then again, "Mustang" has been on every Mustang since 1964 (with the exception of the T5) and removing it was quite a "Bold Move", if you will. I put the lettering in my stripes because it was one of my favorite features of the 65 and 66 GT's. It just felt right to me, and I love it. (The trunk lettering is not right for me). I did not try to identify the car because, in my opinion as well as everyone else's it seems, the Running Horse itself is enough to scream American Icon. Without the horse or cobra...where would this car really be?

E

·
0 Posts
I don't think you could or would want to, get away with removing the horse or the snake emblems... thats part of what helps to reinforce the brand. The car is reminiscent of the old versions, and the logo's firm up folks memory. Ford just didn't need to overtly spell it out on the car. Without the horse or the cobra, there would be more questions I think... I'm glad they didn't spell out MUSTANG all over the car though... less decals for me to remove. =)

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
When we moved to Florida, we had the stang transported down to meet us here. the rep from the moving company could only find the name GT on the gas cap to describe the car. so, he wrote up the description of the car as a 2005 Ford GT. I was okay with that. LOL

told him the car was worth a hundred grand, for insurance purposes.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts