Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else has this type of paint problems with the hood? No where else but the hood. I guess the primer was never applied to the aluminum hoods before they painted them. Any comments? [email protected] mustang 4 rust.JPG

·
Registered
212 Posts
i have an 06 and no paint problem here.

·
Registered
126 Posts
oh, sh*t. o_o I was expecting just some paint bubbles or something, lol.
is your hood aftermarket or the original equipment? I thought my hood was ABS plastic or something... :|

·
Registered
711 Posts
Has anyone else has this type of paint problems with the hood? No where else but the hood. I guess the primer was never applied to the aluminum hoods before they painted them. Any comments? [email protected] View attachment 101184
WTF!!:surprised I have a little bit of bubbling on the lip, which is common. Nothing like that though! You don't wash your car with xylene do you? :yelwacko:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
If your car is stored outside exactly where you say you live, then the heavy salt air has done that to your car.

Most of us with similar year cars, which have been driven on salted streets in the winter, have peeling and bubbling paint but only on the underside of the lip of the hood.

Yes there was a problem due to preparation of the metal (aluminum) in the factory...some here have had their car hoods repainted, repaired under warranty.

Others here may have details of the proper prep of metal and paint process needed to make a lasting repair....for those who are out of warranty as you.

Note: I had a car ruined by salt air in P.B. over an 8 year period. Washing the car about twice a week can help slow the salt air decay of metal. A lady who had a car parked near me in P.B. would wash her car couple times a week with just a bucket of water. I thought it silly...but years later, I saw her car, still parked outside, and it looked great...and it was a 70s Camaro...a model known for rust problems.

I also know a lady who had a fourplex built in M.B. with metal railings around it's patios and decks. They lasted about two years. She had to have them ripped out and replaced with wood. Maybe a wooden hood might help in your area. LOL.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Time for a slick aftermarket fiberglass hood....With a cool hoodscoop..:smartass:

Seriously though, Cervinis makes some great hoods, had mine painted by a local professional, No problems, paint still looks wet when it's clean :yelpleased:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
WOW!!! +1 on getting an aftermarket hood. Go either fiberglass or carbon fiber. Mine just has some underhood paint issues, but no where as bad as your outside problem.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Dude mine DOES IT TOOO!!!!!! It starts when a rock chips it...and then BOOM THIS! Im scared for my hood now :(, i live near the beach maybe that effects it??

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
It's a factory defect that affects a large number of cars from many different brands. A good body shop can fix it, but it make a good excuse to buy an aftermarket hood that won't dance at 100mph. That and aftermarket hoods just look cool.:winks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Has anyone else has this type of paint problems with the hood? No where else but the hood. I guess the primer was never applied to the aluminum hoods before they painted them. Any comments? [email protected] View attachment 101184
.....Based on some of the replies I have received, it seems that this is a very common problem. Some folks have suggested that I sue Ford in small claims court for the redo as this is factory defect. Make Ford prove that it was not their fault rather than get the run around from the individual dealers. Has anyone does this and what was the outcome?.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.