Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 6 cyl. For the past couple of years the parking brake will not engage. I've tried to adjust at the handle but it seems the cable is rusted frozen at the brake. I have read posts about the problems with the cables. I'm want to know how to easily replace the cables. Thanks

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
I have a 2005 6 cyl. For the past couple of years the parking brake will not engage. I've tried to adjust at the handle but it seems the cable is rusted frozen at the brake. I have read posts about the problems with the cables. I'm want to know how to easily replace the cables. Thanks
welcome to the forums, ive replaced my rear cables, pretty easy to do. do one side at a time, pay attention to the routing, they have a couple bolts to the body midway. at the rear calipers, slide the metal clip off, then you can use a screwdriver to push the arm back, and the cables come off real easy. install the new cables from the connecting bracket at the middle of the car, route and bolt the cables in place and hook to the calipers last. these pics arent too great, but look close, you`ll see the clip being removed in one and the screwdriver prying the bracket back to remove the cable end.

i havent had to replace a frt cable yet, but it shouldnt be too bad to do either.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
First of all I think most failures in these cables happen up north. My car is a Texas car. I am pretty good at keeping up with maintenance on my stang and noticed the rubber deteriorated at on the rear cables at or before 60,000. When I did the rear pad replacement at 70,000 I adjusted the cable but noticed I had to adjust it a lot to get it within specs. I guess the cables had started to rust inside the protective covers and the added tension caused the cable to fail at about 75000. The replacement cables made the parking brake feel like brand new. I agree do one side at a time. I found it easier to do as mentioned above starting at the center section near the drive shaft. Below is what I remember from the installation.

1. Rout the cable
2. Loosely install the two bolts (RH)
3. Pull the slack on the cable towards the forward part of the car.
4. The parking brake cable is a three piece unit. One left one right and once center going to the handle. The middle section is slotted. With slack pulled out giving you extra length on the fwd. end install it at the "union" where the three cables join. The housing has a clip that holds it in place at the union.
5. Next install the "T" shaped end of the aft section of the cable on the rear caliper.
6. Use a small pry bar or screwdriver to compress the spring at the caliper arm. This should give you the slack you need to install clip that holds the aft section.
7. Torque the two bolts that secure the cable assembly to the car frame.

8. Install the rear wheel. Torque lug nuts to 100Ft. Lb.
9. Make sure that the rub protection is in the correct location so that the cable last as long as possible.
10. Adjust cable as necessary from the center console.
11. Lol aske me questions if needed:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts