Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Delete plates and Pypes headers with new updated tune from Brenspeed installed. What a difference, these mods really opened her up and it really pulls like a train!

Now that my exhaust is free flowing, headers, off road H-pipe and free flowing axle backs the exhaust note is very aggressive, nice (I still have drone) but on deceleration I get loud popping form the exhaust. I want to know if this is expected or if there is anything that can be done about it?

I'm getting an engine light that suggests I'm running lean, any ideas?

G

·
Yeah...you are running lean. You need more fuel to the mix. Exhaust popping on decel says it all.

Call Breenspeed and have them modify your tune.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah...you are running lean. You need more fuel to the mix. Exhaust popping on decel says it all.

Call Breenspeed and have them modify your tune.
Huh, I wonder why the tune they supplied for the new mods is running lean. I've found that Brenspeed are really good with there tunes.

I've been using Brenspeed ever since purchasing my Paxton supercharger from them over a year ago.

G

·
Huh, I wonder why the tune they supplied for the new mods is running lean. I've found that Brenspeed are really good with there tunes.

I've been using Brenspeed ever since purchasing my Paxton supercharger from them over a year ago.

What's the old saying..."not every car is created equal"? Could be any number of variables affecting fuel delivery. Just don't beat on it until you get a hold of them. Do a plug chop if you want but I think the CEL and exhaust popping should hvae already confirmed it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So my lean code has cleared!

Chandler at Brenspeed says the popping is caused due to the fact that the exhaust is now so free flowing soo nothing can be done about it.

G

·
So my lean code has cleared!

Chandler at Brenspeed says the popping is caused due to the fact that the exhaust is now so free flowing soo nothing can be done about it.
So did it just clear on its own or did you upload a new tune? Exhaust popping is a sign of a lean condition. I have experience it previously with my current mustang and ended up reading the plugs...sure enough they were ghost white. I would keep an eye on it for sure.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Exhaust leak will also cause the popping. If the leak is ahead of the O2 sensors it will also cause it to read lean when it draws air in through the leak on decel.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I cleared the code with my tuner and it hasn't come back!

Checked for exhaust leaks but all is good!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hmmm, what code? I mismatched the RH and LH side harness side connectors and even got the front and rear mismatched after removing and reinstalling Kooks headers. I was seeing a rich DTC code. O2 signal would go lean, fluctuate a bit, and then jump up to 800mV and stay there. AT idle and low RPM car ran like crap. Noticed popping from the exhaust too. At WOT it ran fine. Since you no longer have the rear O2's, I'd check the wire colors on the HARNESS SIDE to make sure LH and RH sides are correct. On the harness side you should see RD-WH and GY-LB wires on Right Front (passenger side). Likewise. RD-BK and YE-LB wires on Left Front harness (driver side). GY-RD and RD-YE color wires are common to both. If you look on the O2 sensor connector side, all wire colors are the same. It's a simple check and easy to get these confused. Hope that helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts