Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to purchase a 2005 V6/auto Mustang that has been(hard) hit in the driver side front. Firewall back appears to have no damage, hood is good, and engine and trans run and seem ok. Front nose, fenders, grill, radiator, ac parts, lower & upper subframe/support parts are all twisted, missing, or damaged. You can see bends in the frame, and front is kicked over towards passenger side by an inch or two. Lastly front windshield has crack from lower drivers side area, and both airbags popped.

Car has around 85000 miles, leather interior, after market wheels, and other than accident damage, looks to be in nice shape. Even paint from firewall back is nice. I am hands-on mechanical person, with decades of mechanical experience, tools, welder, compressor, etc, and just finshed replacing roof on my 1967 coupe, so I can handle most repairs. I like working on cars, and car is strictly hobby, and not for daily driver.

Guy will sell me car for $2000 cash, and I really would like to have an '05, although I would prefer a manual trans. I checked prices and it looks like this car in average condition would be between 8-10 grand.
My question is this, would I save substantial money buying this car and repairing myself, or do you think I would be better off just spending the money on one that isn't wrecked or damaged? I appreciate any learned opinions on this, because I can't seem to make up my mind, and guy is putting car on ebay tomorrow if I don't make a move today. Thanks, Mike.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
well it seems the cost to repair it would be more than what a whole cars costs even if you do the work, you could buy it and part it out, then go buy a whole car

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mike, I would pass if I were you. Last September I bought an 05 V6 convertible 5sp w/98k for $3200 and all it needed was a clutch job. You are buying yourself one hell of a headache. Better to look for a clean, high miles specimen. They are out there, especially in the late summer/early fall when people put their "summer car" out for sale.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, you're both right. I'm going to pass on this one. I priced out salvage yard front clip, and some other items, and I'm way over book on car, not to mention labor. Thanks again for your opinions. Mike

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yeah I would pass on that too. In 09 I bought my wrecked 08 with 17 thousand miles for 5 grand with about the same damage. I put about about 3,500 in it and it worked out good for me, but I got all my parts wholesell though. You will have to get someone with a frame machine to get your front end pulled and plus your parts you will come out too high, my advice is to find one with less damage. Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts