Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my girlfriend were driving home and I noticed the abs light and traction lights came on. Also the radio went blank and A/C stopped blowing. Then the airbag light came on. We parked it and Tried starting it but it just clicked like the battery was dead. I removed the negative battery cable and let It sit for a while. We tested the battery and alternator and both were fine. I hooked the battery back up and it started just fine. We went to drive it again and it did the same thing except this time allthe lights came back on then everything went dead except the motor. The security/theft light started flashing like it does when the car is off. I tried again the next day and it started but everything was dim and the radio said 'low battery'. The windows wouldn't roll up and nothing would work. I shut it off and it wouldn't start again. Is it a charging issue, bad alternator, battery? And how many volts should the alternator be pushing?

·
Registered
128 Posts
It sounds like what happened to me. My alternator died a few years ago on the way home. All the electronics shut off and I had to pull the car over. I would have it checked out though to be 100% sure that it was the alternator that caused the issue. If you're good with tools you can probably remove the alternator and take it to Autozone or somewhere like that- they test them for free I believe.

·
Registered
226 Posts
same thing happened to me and it was the alternator, its a known problem

·
Registered
531 Posts
same here. a couple years back this happened to me on the fwy. all the lights came on then the car slowly died. i charged the battery it worked for a few miles than died again. so i am positive its your battery

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Definitely sounds like the alternator. It could also be the battery, but I bet it's just the alternator

·
Registered
531 Posts
i did a typo earlier lol i meant to say
* i am positive its not your battery

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would look up wiring schematics and start checking all the grounds of the car. I'm not sure how mechanically inclined you are but I would hate for you to pull the alternator and the same thing happens just because of a loose wire.

Electronic circuits need a ground back to the battery so try cleaning your battery terminals (If the battery can hold a charge). And then check for any loose cables coming off of the alternator.

If it is indeed the alternator then I would suggest buying one and installing it yourself. Mechanics will take you to town on labor and the V6 has the alternator right on top of the engine.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I would look up wiring schematics and start checking all the grounds of the car. I'm not sure how mechanically inclined you are but I would hate for you to pull the alternator and the same thing happens just because of a loose wire.

Electronic circuits need a ground back to the battery so try cleaning your battery terminals (If the battery can hold a charge). And then check for any loose cables coming off of the alternator.

If it is indeed the alternator then I would suggest buying one and installing it yourself. Mechanics will take you to town on labor and the V6 has the alternator right on top of the engine.
+1 on that it can be a loose wire. I know autozone and oreillys will test the alternator for free and it only takes a few minutes to pull it out. Installing the new one is very easy and shouldn't take more than 15 min with basic hand tools if your even just a little mechanically inclined. The labor a shop would charge wouldn't be worth it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have a similar problem.
The car wouldnt unlock with the remote so i unlocked it manually with the key. When i started it the abs indicator stayed on and it made a beeping sound. Stopped and when i restarted it every interior and exterior light went offline. The engine starts like normal but i only have the security symbol blinking in the dash and fan works.. everything else is blank.

A few hours later i decided to give it another try.
This time the car unlocked by remote and everything worked.

But the next day it was all black again.
Bloody frustrating.

Does this mean the alternator is broken or could there be any other reason for all this.
Ive done nothing out of the ordinary to the car so this is a real puzzle to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts