Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Ford Mustang convertible with a V6 engine. It stopped running on me last week as I was driving down the highway. Auto Shop tells one of two timing chains is broken. It is the one that is in the back. Mechanic tells me engine needs to be taken out to be replaced. He suggested I check with a local dealer for help. It is not under warranty as I bought it used from someone else. It only has 38,000 miles and has been well-taken care of though its lifetime. Has anyone experienced this or have advice as to

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
If the chain did break it sounds like there was a materials defect in it, as that’s not too common a problem (assuming you didn’t over rev the engine, which can’t happen if it’s all stock due to the rev limiter). And your mechanic’s right, engine has to come out to repair it. Expect to pay $3K+ at a dealer for the job.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
welcome to the forums. how tragic to have that happen. your the first person to have that happen in the last few years ive been on here. yes, the engine has to come out, special timing tools are involved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick feedback. I was looking for garages as the evening went along. I have had the car for 3 years so it is not like I haven't enjoyed it. It is awesome! Is it repair/rebuildable or am going to better replacing with new engine entirely?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
All depends on what happened internally. If the pistons hit the valves the valves typically loose and repair work will need to be done on the head. If a piece broke off and bounced around there’s a chance it could’ve gouged the cylinder wall (unlikely though). Won’t know the full story until you actually get it apart.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thanks for the quick feedback. I was looking for garages as the evening went along. I have had the car for 3 years so it is not like I haven't enjoyed it. It is awesome! Is it repair/rebuildable or am going to better replacing with new engine entirely?
Not sure if it`s an interference engine, it would seem a boneyard engine swap would be your most cost effective option.
If it is indeed an interference engine, you may be looking at bent valves and damaged pistons which would complicate things further.

·
Registered
531 Posts
i seen some cheap engines on ebay. you should check it out if the price is more than $1k

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
well, i consider that really low miles. would be worth fixing, but you might be able to find a engine for less? or not. i agree with these guys, might be worth researching prices. myself, i would have to pull it, buy the tools and do it myself, but thats the bad habit i have. theres always a chance that when the timing went, it caused some other damage too.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
That Sucks and I feel for ya. Even though your Engine has Low Miles on it I'd still look around for another one with Low Miles. First off get some quotes on a fix, but also remember like others said there could be eternal damage as well and this could get real costly. If it was just a Timing Chain Replace then that could be ok, but if other damage was caused then it's not.
If the Mechanic pulls the Motor and tears it apart and finds other damage then you have to pay him for his time doing that along with finding another Motor. If he pulls it apart and (Misses) any other Damage and replaces the Chain and you have other problems then that will suck too.
Get a Written Warranty from the Mechanic if you have them replace the Chain. For me there's to much Guessing as to what could be Wrong inside the Motor so I'd be looking for a Low Mileage one and just swap em out, it's probably the Least Costly way to go.
Good Luck and let US all know the outcome.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've seen 4.0s with less than 36k miles going for less than $1000 on CL. A good local shop could/should have the hook up on low miles motors from wrecked cars with local body shops. The thing to remember is that same 4.0 is in lots of ford vehicles, so it doesn't necessarily have to be from a mustang.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Don't forget to use car-part.com to find engines from local junk yards. That is how we found a replacement 5 speed for our 06 for $350 (local too).

~Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts