Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my buddy has a older Honda CRX that is pretty hard to beat, but I have confidence that my little sixxer can beat it. I just need help with all the mods needed to beat him on the straights.
Here is the mods I know I need:
1. intake & tune
2. gears
3. tlok
what else is needed?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well I looked up the stats, and the most horsepower a third generation honda crx has is.....drumroll.....160hp. So assuming that is at the engine and not at the wheels ill make a guess and say it has about 145hp at the wheels. So you might not need any mods at all to beat him. Be safe, good luck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Oh and btw your little sixer is a 4.0L....his LITTLE honda is a 1.6L...but engine size doesn't always matter, its how you use it. ;)
just a little fact I thought you might want to tell him :) lol

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Try first if you lose juice that pony, lol

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Need more info!:yup: Is it stock? Is it blown? Running laughing gas? Built up like crazy? Engine swap?

Without knowing what his car has, it would be a total (uneducated) guess.

·
Registered
448 Posts
There's a bad CRX that trolls the streets here in OKC. 500hp, built, twin turbo, the works. Definitely need more info on the CRX before this question can be answered.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I hate that troll rice thats all like...in my V6 stang cruising...o hey a rice mobil haah his cars farting. Get next to em, rev, take off, whered he go look back nope, 3 lights later see him a mile or 2 ahead....

·
Registered
344 Posts
I don't think you would do too good up against John Force's funnycar either, but what does that mean. A mustang 4.0 should beat a honda CRX if they both are stock, or have the usual add-ons like CAI, tune and exhaust.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL forgot to say that his CRX has a race engine that he imported and was dropped in. Talked to my friend not long ago and he said " I've gone threw 3 drive shafts this year."......Im actually scared cause this guy knows his imports and is from a racing family. Now its not turbo'd, it is cam'd, free flowing exhaust(thing is LOUD!), intake, and I think thats it. Ha gah i wanna show this little import why in america muscle rules the streets, but it wont happen right now. So ideas?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Alright, well that info would have surely helped! Do you have any numbers or what kind of engine he dropped in it?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Yeah! Forced induction!

What is the engine? Do you have any specs? What gears does he have?

If he dropped an engine that is putting out say 200hp to the wheels, in that lightweight plastic POS he will probably smoke you like it isn't funny. Probably smoke me too!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thinking maybe an X-Charger supercharger and some gears might at least keep you even.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Ricers dont know how to race. I took my old mustang, my cobalt ss, and new 4.0 stang up against ricers with lost of mods. If your a better driver that helps. But crx's can be down right muscle killers

·
Registered
680 Posts
LOL forgot to say that his CRX has a race engine that he imported and was dropped in. Talked to my friend not long ago and he said " I've gone threw 3 drive shafts this year."......Im actually scared cause this guy knows his imports and is from a racing family. Now its not turbo'd, it is cam'd, free flowing exhaust(thing is LOUD!), intake, and I think thats it. Ha gah i wanna show this little import why in america muscle rules the streets, but it wont happen right now. So ideas?
I hope he hasn't gone through 3 driveshafts in a FWD car...

Spray and pray! Sticky tires and some sort of limited slip differential will help you out too.

Even if he beats you, it's a friggin 2 seater lunchbox on wheels, and you're driving a piece of American history :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Well with an engine swap, im guessing a dohc vtec motor, cams and a turbo its all over for you. Its prob also tuned as well. You will need alot more than bolt-ons and gears. That car doesnt weigh anything. You need juice or boost.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok just talked to my friend and the engine is a B16a. Not turbo'd i know for sure. The thing is fast but not unbeatable ...yet.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Early Integra, CRX, Civic'1.6i-VT'(EE8)(EE9)
  • Displacement: 1.6 liter (1595)
  • Bore×Stroke: 81.0×77.4 mm (3.19×3.05 in)
  • Compression: 10.2:1
  • Power:150 hp (110 kW) @ 7600 rpm
  • Torque: 106 lb·ft (144 N·m) @ 7100 rpm
  • Redline: 8100 rpm
  • VTEC engagement @ 5200 rpm
But I'm wondering if it's the B16a2

1992-2000 Honda Civic EDM VTisi (EG6/EG9 & EK4)
1992-1997 Honda CR-X del Sol EDM VTi (EG)
1996-1997 Honda CR-X del Sol USDM "VTEC"
1999-2000 Honda Civic USDM Si (EM1)
1999-2000 Honda Civic CAN SiR (EM1)
Displacement: 1,595 cc (97.3 cu in)
  • Bore×Stroke: 81.0×77.4 mm (3.19×3.05 in)
  • Compression: 10.2:1
  • Power: 161 hp (120 kW) @ 7600 rpm & 111 lb·ft (150 N·m) @ 7000 rpm
  • Transmission: Y21 or S4C
  • Redline: 8,000 rpm
  • Rev Limit: 8,450 rpm
  • VTEC Engagement: 5,600 rpm
  • Aluminum Casting
Putting out a total of 161hp @7600rpm and 111 lb-ft @ 7000rpm

The b16a1 is even less powerful.

I think you'll get him now, or at most with a couple simple bolt ons like a cai and tune, if he honestly only has this motor with no real mods.

It takes that motor forever and a day to make its (non impressive)peak power and torque. You should get a nice jump on him and never look back IMO. :yup:

Oh wait I forgot, the "VTEC engagment" is at 5600rpm so I guess you'll be toast after that!:laugh::laugh::nono::winks

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haha ok so a few bolt ons and i SHOULD get him? Well as good as that sounds ill need a few ideas on mods. Quick question i gotta get new catalytic converters in the next few days so im gonna replace my stock cats with somke pypes high flow ceramic cats. Will i need a tune to run them?

·
Registered
118 Posts
i work at a honda delarship and i have to say the cr-x suck man. this guy would have to have a turbo or something crazy to get that power to beat a stang. U almost have to floor it to get it to move off the lift at work!

oh at the honda delarship 11 people own a mustang!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts