Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my duals done last week, two mellotones and an H pype. I love the way it sounds , not at all ricey, nice deep rumble.

Problem is in the 1700-2300 RPM (65-75 MPH) there is this terrible drone. I was wondering if there was anything I could do to quiten them down a bit? I really don't want to take them off but I can't handle the drone :sadcry:.

Thanks
Wes

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
o cmon the drone gives the mustang that aggresivness.. lol idk dude

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I can't directy answer your question but if you don't get immediate help on this thread, you can always use the search engine this site offers. I'm pretty sure if you punch in exhaust drones you may get some helpful results.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Only thing that might work is a set of resonators. However, that will also quiet it down a bit too.

·
Registered
572 Posts
1700-2300 RPM (65-75 MPH) there is this terrible drone
The "Drone Zone"...

1. Don't use cruise control it will drone constantly.
2. Allow your pony to coast once in a while (no noise when coasting).
3. Drive 60 or 80, outside the zone, or cross into/out of it regularly.

Pypes Street Pros resonate in the 2000-2500 range (70-85MPH)

If you tread lightly on the throttle you should be able to moderate the loudness of the drone a bit.

I also bought foam ear plugs for LONG trips...

SOHC

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well it's partially fixed. Carried it back to the shop today and the guy put 18" glass packs on the straight pipe behind the muffler, still loud when you rev but quite when cruising. only problems is I think he got the passanger side on a peice of metal or something theres this terrible vibration coming from it :banghead:

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm a new Mustang owner, but I do know of some scenarios. But I need to ask questions now. Is the vibration coming from inside the cabin or outside and under? Secondly, is it a slight or very noticeable vibration. Because of it's outside and under, it's the glass vibrating against the chasis. Which would indicate to me depending on the thickness of the panels use it would be slight or fairly noticeable. If it's inside the cabin. I'd had to say they did some damage under the passengers seat of the chasis while installing the glass panels

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the problem fixed, the glass packs between the cats and mufflers took care of the drone (still there a bit, but not nearly as loud as it was and I can live with it). As for the vibration he had a hanger on a bracket, he fixed it today and I loves it!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Got the problem fixed, the glass packs between the cats and mufflers took care of the drone (still there a bit, but not nearly as loud as it was and I can live with it). As for the vibration he had a hanger on a bracket, he fixed it today and I loves it!

if you dont my mind me asking,how did you hang the mufflers? did you get a rear bumper off a gt ? also...do you have the ricer sound ??(you know....vroom vroom *pop*vroooom *pop pop pop*)

I really want a dual exhaust but dont want the ricer sound,only reason why i ask....

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I put the GT bumper on my wifes pony package car alone with the GT mufflers. sounds just right...no drone at all. good sound not a V-8 sound and not a ricer sound either. the V-6 has a sound of their own....most ricer's are inline 4 cylinder cars....giving them that terrible sound.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
well it's partially fixed. Carried it back to the shop today and the guy put 18" glass packs on the straight pipe behind the muffler, still loud when you rev but quite when cruising. only problems is I think he got the passanger side on a peice of metal or something theres this terrible vibration coming from it :banghead:
My guess is the new pipes are too close to the driveshaft or the overaxle pipes moved and might be hitting the differential or panhard bar support.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.